Uncle's 2 year old cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
He made it 2 years ago. I don't know how much, but I think the recipe was just some cider and yeast. Needless to say, Its been sitting in his cask (I think he has a plastic one) for two years. He simply can't bottle it himself cause he is a caretaker for his sick wife.

I want to offer my services to help bottle it someday, but I'm wondering (actually I'm betting it will) if it will need some yeast to carbonate it. I guess its possible he may want it uncarbonated. So anyone ever carb something this old? Are there any other obstacles I'm missing?

BigKahuna said:
Drag your racking cane on the bottom to pick up a little yeast.

You may go for a still wine out of this? May be real good.

That makes sense to just suck some yeast up into the bottling vessle. Since it is a cider it'll be easy cause there is no trub or proteins. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

I don't know wines too well so I don't know what your referring to as "still wines".

Your two options: Still and Carbonated.

Still is just that, its still doesn't move haha It means un-carbonated, like traditional wine.

Yeah, its definitly my uncle's choice wether he wants to carb or not. I haven't told him yet that I'd be glad to help out, but I will soon. I'll be seeing him in 3 weeks for his grandaughters b-day party. He's living a tough life right now so I think this would bring his spirits up to finally bottle up the cider.

I'll post back results here if and when they ever happen.

Back