Are these suitable for use as fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_LV

Reaction score
Hey all,
curious if I can use these as fermenters - its 5us gal water refill jugs

ferm1.jpg

ferm2.jpg

there is thing written on the bottom - not to be used for anything other than water - kind of discouraging but maybe that's one more marketing trick cause they are on the cheap side, but very sturdy and easy to carry cause of handle (an not glass!)

thanks in advance,

Andy

you need to check the number in the triangle on the bottom. I think #1,2,4 are food safe

yeah, the recycling triangle. I have one just like yours but I have change in it.:)
Im not sure though but I think some people may primary in them but due to oxygen permeability no long term storage.

there is thing written on the bottom - not to be used for anything other than water - kind of discouraging but maybe that's one more marketing trick cause they are on the cheap side

Its probably more of a "cover your ass" statement. They don't want to get sued when some moron fills it with some other substance and it breaks/reacts/leaks etc. so they put that statement on there.

Also, these bottles are polycarbonate so i'm not sure how that would do with anything other than water. Another thing - aren't they textured in some spots? Is that texture on the inside as well? If thats the case, they are going to be a pain to clean. That textured plastic surface would be a perfect place for leftover "bugs" to hide.

Just my two cents :)

I might try it out but go with a simple "cheap" beer to experiment with.

#1 PETE & #2 HDPE are safe to use for beer, AFAIK the rest are not. I have some water bottles that have #1 on them that I use occasionally, but discard the #7's like you have there.

FWIW Wal-Mart has Aquatainer's (#2 HDPE, Blue Water Jugs) in the camping section for under $12.00.

Thanks guys, cleaning was another thing that bothered me - I mean, they are hollow in the handles and that stopped me - was wondering how will I clean that spot if something sticks to it.

*sigh*... will go pick up some buckets instead.

Go read the info in this thead. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-poland-springs-carboy-200744/

Especially what I wrote in there about Betterbottles and the stamping on the bottom of the ones they make for the water industry. If they are 1's or 2's go ahead an use them.

I use a few of them, and they are no harder to clean than any other fermenter. Oxyclean can get any goop out of the handles, it bubbles in there no differently than the rest of the vessel. And you can SEE if there is any goop that gets in there.

Thanks Revvy, will go crunch that post.

Oh my.. they are toxic... neat

Back