NEWB Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtpoker

Reaction score
Hey guys. I live in New York City. I have two 25 quart pots, each houses two hop plants. One is a pot of Cascade and the other Nugget. They are now second year plants, and have already sent up bines. The longest one is about 3.4 inches long. I want to transplant the pairs into larger pots.

If I transplant them now, will I lose the crop for this year? or is it early enough in the growth cycle that they will handle the shock of getting transplanted and recover to have a good growing season?

Also I will be planting pairs of Wilamette, Fuggle, and Northern Brewer. Should I keep each variety far away from each other, or is it okay that they will be in separate pots, but about 2-6 feet away from each other?

Also, is it better to plant individual rhizomes into pots, or having them grow in pairs better for their growth?

If you can take most of the soil with you undisturbed you will be better off. When I went from pot to ground I dug a hole big enough to handle the entire root ball and all soil in the pot. I'd keep each rhizome separate.

Back