Mold after cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatmatt

Reaction score
So i have just finished my first cider and i think i have a problem. I started the cider with fresh pasteurized juice and coopers yeast. I cold crashed it at 1.008. Than let it sit at room temp for 4 days and nothing changed on the hydrometer readings. Today I went to bottle it and these white specs were there. When they hit the side of the carbouy they broke up and disappeared. What shoud i do at this point? is it saveable? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am hoping i have better luck with the second batch i have going.

I am not a cider maker, but are you positive that those white specs are not just tiny little clusters of bubbles?

When you crashed your cider it wasn't finished and when it warmed up it started fermenting again. Nothing wrong with the cider, it's just not done yet.

Welcome to HBT!

edit: I just read the part about you bottling. I would put those bottles in a container that will protect you from shrapnel should they start exploding. :(

Stick it back in the fridge again. You might want to check Kevins thread and see how Coopers is when cold crashing. It might be difficult to crash that particular yeast. He would know.

Ok thanks guys i wasnt sure what was happening. Glad it should be ok. If it was still fermenting in the bottle should i be able to see bubbles when looking inside a clear bottle? also there was abit of head room when racking, because of a large amount of sediment could that have caused something bad? I will check his thread again to see what it says about coopers....Thanks again for all the help first brew has been nerve racking.

Back