AHS Pliny vs. the real thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow, I never knew russian river brewing company distributed their product so widely.

I always thought they were just a local watering hole with awesome pizza.

Took me a while to get to it, but I tapped my 2nd batch of AHS Pliny tonight. I mashed this one a good bit hotter and man, what a difference. Not too dry like the last one, this one's perfect. Even with a couple months aging, it's still a massive hop bomb too. Superb recipe.

Took me a while to get to it, but I tapped my 2nd batch of AHS Pliny tonight. I mashed this one a good bit hotter and man, what a difference. Not too dry like the last one, this one's perfect. Even with a couple months aging, it's still a massive hop bomb too. Superb recipe.

You mashed this one at 156 right? My kit is comming Monday :D. I was going to mash at 152, but you say 156 is the magic number? What was your FG? Also which yeast did you use?

FG was 1.012, mashed at 156. S-05 yeast. Actually I poured the 2nd batch right on top of the 1st batches yeast cake.

FG was 1.012, mashed at 156. S-05 yeast. Actually I poured the 2nd batch right on top of the 1st batches yeast cake.

Ah Ok. I ended up getting the WLP001 Yeast. I guess I will find out how far it will go with higher mash temps. I know I've gotten the WLP001 down low when I mash at 149-150. I think I gotten a blonde ale from 1.036 to 1.004. So mashing a little higher will be good for this one I think. I cannot get ahold of the real PTE, so I am flying blind on this one.

S-05 is the dry version of 001 so you should get similar attenuation, assuming a good pitch rate.

S-05 is the dry version of 001 so you should get similar attenuation, assuming a good pitch rate.

Perfect! Yeah I am going to get a 2000ml starter going. I think that should be plenty. Now if there was only a way to sample the real thing to see how close I got.

Perfect! Yeah I am going to get a 2000ml starter going. I think that should be plenty. Now if there was only a way to sample the real thing to see how close I got.

PM me when it's ready. I've always got at least a dozen Pliny in the beer fridge. Maybe we could work a swap. I'd love me some HopSlam :)

If I am reading the AHS recipe correctly, some of the hops are used in the mash.
Correct?

Also, how long have others dry hopped?
Do you recommend putting the hops directly in the beer or using a hop bag?

If you keg I would recommend saving some of the dry hops for the keg. This helps keep the aroma around much longer.

1.5oz of Chinook go in the mash. I dryhopped in the primary with four ounces, no hop bag for 14 days. Then I took 3oz and put them in a sanitized mesh bag and into the keg prior to racking.

If you bottle I would recommend dry hopping in stages as opposed to all at once.

I just bottled this bad boy last night and man it was sweet right out of the fermenter. Color was spot on, huge and grapefruity. I did single-stage fermentation in my 6 gal carboy for the first time and was very pleased. I fermented for 14 days at 65-68 and dry hopped the entire amount right in the carboy loose for 14 days. I can't wait for this to carb up and sample one.

We brewed ours last night, first batch with this high of OG. Put it in my 6.5g BB, should've used a blowoff tube...
4331932494_ced57532f6.jpg

(not sure if the pics will post, since I dont have enough posts)

It was bubbling pretty good after dinner, went to the gym to find the cap/airlock blown off, foam all over the floor, carboy, wall, etc. Rushed to sanitize the cap/airlock, tried putting it back on, but cracked the airlock in my hand, just read tonight about using a bubbler airlock and a siphon hose as a blowoff tube, so I sanitized those, and recapped and hooked up my contraption, w/ the hose in a bucket of sanitized water.

4331194089_c14e4e003b.jpg

4331194531_b3a6c3851b.jpg

Is it ruined? I dont think anything got back in, as it was foaming out through the hole/airlock when I put it on.

Here is a gallery of the results, not too many pics of the mess as I was scrambling to get things sanitized.

Lesson learned, probably ok if everything was sanitized before using it. Get some fermcap-S, it will save you a lot of blowoff problems. I always use this stuff now and don't worry about blowoffs anymore. I just brewed a 1.098 and there was nothing to worry about with the fermcap.

Better yet, you need a larger fermenter than a 6 gallon water bottle for such a big beer.

Forrest

I am sampling my first few bottles of this recipe and it is f-ing really good. It finished pretty dry for me so upping the mash temp a bit is the way to go. The nose and sweetness from the insane amount of hops is there as in the real thing. Color is a bit darker, but it is really a fabulous brew. Well worth brewing up if you are a hop head like I am. Gotta have this year round now, it will become a staple in my house.

This is the problem. I loved my clone so much that now that I'm down to 4 bottles my skin is itching cause I know I need to brew it again..... and it ain't cheap.

Time to go bulk, I never would have brewed it without getting cheap 50 lb sacks of two row and hops by the lb from hopsdirect.

Back