American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.. I borked this one. I bought a pound of Centennial hops, and didn't look at the AA on the label. I guess I assumed they were the normal 10%AA Centennial, but mine are listed at 6%AA!!!!!

I plugged it into beersmith, and it dropped my IBU's from 60 to 40! We'll see how it tastes.

EDIT-Tasted one 5 days in the bottle, and it's great!!!

When the weather in Minnesota gets above 30 degrees I will be making this one again and I will also put it in my IPA rotation.

I recently had some Two Hearted during a trip to Philly over the holidays...yum! I think this will be my next brew. I have a starter with some yeast I harvested from a TH. Since I'm not set up to do AG I am thinking about using the following mini mash recipe I came up with using TastyBrew:

Stats
OG 1.072
FG 1.018
IBU 57
ABV 7.0 %
SRM 8

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low Recipe High
OG 1.050 1.072 1.075
FG 1.012 1.018 1.016
IBU 40 57 60+
SRM 8 8 14
ABV 5 7.0 7.8

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
78.3 % 9.00 Light Malt Extract Syrup 61.2 3.6
8.7 % 1.00 Crystal 40L 2.0 8.0
13.0 % 1.50 American Two-row Pale 8.3 0.5
11.50 71.5
Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
8.3 % 0.50 Centennial Pellet 10.5 5.3 60 0.046 24.0
4.2 % 0.25 Centennial Pellet 10.5 2.6 30 0.024 6.4
16.7 % 1.00 Centennial Pellet 10.5 10.5 15 0.013 13.7
20.8 % 1.25 Centennial Pellet 10.5 13.1 5 0.008 10.7
16.7 % 1.00 Centennial Pellet 10.5 10.5 1 0.002 1.7
33.3 % 2.00 Centennial Pellet 10.5 21.0 DH 0.000 0.0
6.00 56.5

I didn't see an option in TastyBrew to select Pale Extract which I plan on using. Is there a difference between Pale and Light extract and if so how will this change the stats of this beer? I am pretty excited about this I plan on brewing a HopSlam clone on the yeast cake of this batch as well.

-----------------------------------------
Primary
AHS Double IPA, Yooper's 60 Minute IPA
Secondary
AHS 60 Minute IPA

Nice, I have not had a TH since I moved out of Michigan 1.5 yrs ago... I will be brewing this up this weekend!

Update on mine. Despite terrible efficiency from my grain, it turned out OK. At first, it was a bit thin and too bitter (likely due to the lack of malt balance), but it has come together over the past month or so. Definitely much better over time. The cascade hops turned out fine.

Looking forward to doing it properly.

I'm doing an extract/ steeping version of this recipe this weekend. How much water should I steep with and for how long?

My last two batches I used 2.5 gallons at 150 for 45 minutes. Curious if I go with the same amounts.

thx!

5 Gallon batch.

Anyone Tried this recipe or similar with Belgian Yeast?
Ive made couple small tweaks to this recipe and have brewed it 3 times now, and love it/ I'm wondering how it would taste with a Belgian Yeast?

I haven't but I, literally, just had a Clown Shoes Belgian IPA and thought it was a really really nice beer. I think the hop bills for the two beers (this one and that one) aren't that far off so I was seriously thinking about trying it.

Yup, I think next time I brew this it will be with WLP550 (Belgian Ale yeast) see how that turns out
I'll be sure to post back and report the results.

I think that a belgiian yeast would ruin a th clone. I am planning on brewing this up today. OMW to lhbs to pick up some hops and specialty grains. I planned on culturing yeast from some bottles, but I waited too long. Now I have a starter going, but it won't be ready by 9pm LOL. Oh well, I will get something that will work.

On a side. I am going to follow the OP recipe except for dry hopping and adjust for my %eff.

I think that a belgiian yeast would ruin a th clone. I am planning on brewing this up today. OMW to lhbs to pick up some hops and specialty grains. I planned on culturing yeast from some bottles, but I waited too long. Now I have a starter going, but it won't be ready by 9pm LOL. Oh well, I will get something that will work.

On a side. I am going to follow the OP recipe except for dry hopping and adjust for my %eff.

I agree the belgian yeast will for sure make for a different beer but it is always fun to experiment! Please share how yours turns out.

Well I grabbed the wrong smack pack... and now I have wyeast 1056 LOL I could have sworn I got the american ale II 1272 but alas I was talking and distracted by the pound of centennial that I bought. I am gonna brew it anyhow! I am sure it will still be good. I will update later.

I think that a belgiian yeast would ruin a th clone. I am planning on brewing this up today. OMW to lhbs to pick up some hops and specialty grains. I planned on culturing yeast from some bottles, but I waited too long. Now I have a starter going, but it won't be ready by 9pm LOL. Oh well, I will get something that will work..

Without a doubt in my mind it will be a different beer and not intended to be a clone any longer.
This is just a good tried and true recipe that I want to experiment with and see what using a Belgian yeast would bring to the plate.

Although I modified the recipe slightly here it is below

Recipe: Belgian Two Hearted
Brewer: IP
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.34 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.77 %
12.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 6.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 15.4 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (50 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (30 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 10.58 qt of water at 134.8 F 122.0 F
60 min Saccrification Add 9.40 qt of water at 190.7 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------

the Reason for the Corn ...My original Batch was for 5 gallons. I normally make 5.5 gallon batches, being that I didn't have any DME or milled 2-row around I opted to throw some flaked corn in there to keep the ABV up...we'll see how this turns out.

anyways, this is Bubbling away in the Primary right now @ 66F I will post more when the beer is ready.

Yup, I think next time I brew this it will be with WLP550 (Belgian Ale yeast) see how that turns out
I'll be sure to post back and report the results.

I've used WLP500 and WLP520 in my last two IPA's, and they were great. They slightly fruity, spicy notes they add is really interesting. That being said, having never had Bell's, I can't wait to try this recipe out with all the great reviews the original gets. Thanks for the recipe!

In the original post, where it states:

0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Does this mean add the dry hop bag after 5 days, or leave the hop bag in for 5 days?

I understand that the dry hops should normally go in after the majority of the active fermentation is complete, so after a couple of days at least, but I'm always a bit unsure how long to leave it in.

Also, how important is it to weight the hop bag to keep it from just floating on the surface?

Wow.. I borked this one. I bought a pound of Centennial hops, and didn't look at the AA on the label. I guess I assumed they were the normal 10%AA Centennial, but mine are listed at 6%AA!!!!!

I plugged it into beersmith, and it dropped my IBU's from 60 to 40! We'll see how it tastes.

EDIT-Tasted one 5 days in the bottle, and it's great!!!

Is there a beersmith file ready to go for this clone?

Dave, it means to leave the hops in for 5 days. Whether the hops float to the top or not, the hop oils will be in your beer. I usually rock mine once a day just to make sure the wort is saturated, but racking will take care of that anyway. Hope that helps

Dave, it means to leave the hops in for 5 days. Whether the hops float to the top or not, the hop oils will be in your beer. I usually rock mine once a day just to make sure the wort is saturated, but racking will take care of that anyway. Hope that helps

Thanks. I guess I'll add the hops after about a week, then leave in for 5 days.

Thanks. I guess I'll add the hops after about a week, then leave in for 5 days.

Just to clarify a bit more, put the hops in 5 days before you plan to bottle or keg. I don't bag them, some people do, I just throw them straight into the carboy.

is centenial one of the ones you can sub for the 60min or does it contribute a unique flavor even at 60?

is centenial one of the ones you can sub for the 60min or does it contribute a unique flavor even at 60?

Centenial is a pretty clean bittering hop, I imagine if you used something else that was a neutral bittering hop it would turn out similar....not the same tho.

Here is the Water profile I have from Ward Labs
PH 7.8
Na = 5
Potass K= 1
Calcium Ca = 73
Magnes. Mg = 14
Total Hardness CaCO3 = 241
Nitrate = 6.5
Sulfate SO4-s = 7
Chloride CI = 9
Carbonate CO3 = <1
Bicarbonate HCO3 = 218
Total Alkalinity CaCO3 = 179

Wanting an SRM for a Bells Two Hearted at about 5.5
I did the chart and I get that I need to Add
5 grams of CaSO4,
and 5 grams of CaCi.

Or should I use 50 percent RO and add 2 tbls of 5.2
this is for a 10 Gallon brew at about 12.5 total before boil
Thanks
Looking to do this brew this weekend with Eric just wanting a good water profile
If I keep to this profile
Ca 50-100
Mg 5-20
Na 25-50

Here is the Water profile I have from Ward Labs
PH 7.8
Na = 5
Potass K= 1
Calcium Ca = 73
Magnes. Mg = 14
Total Hardness CaCO3 = 241
Nitrate = 6.5
Sulfate SO4-s = 7
Chloride CI = 9
Carbonate CO3 = <1
Bicarbonate HCO3 = 218
Total Alkalinity CaCO3 = 179

Wanting an SRM for a Bells Two Hearted at about 5.5
I did the chart and I get that I need to Add
5 grams of CaSO4,
and 5 grams of CaCi.

Or should I use 50 percent RO and add 2 tbls of 5.2
this is for a 10 Gallon brew at about 12.5 total before boil
Thanks
Looking to do this brew this weekend just wanting a good water profile to start with
If I keep to this profile
Ca 50-100
Mg 5-20
Na 25-50
CaCO4 90-120
Cl 60-100
CO3 30-50
what do you think ?

I'm planning on brewing this on Sunday with a couple changes. Crystal 60 (cuz I have 10# of it) Mash a little higher for some more mouthfeel, and I'm gonna put it on a Greenbelt yeast cake. I've got a # of centennial in the freezer that needs to get used for something, so why not this? I have a sixer of 2-hearted for motivation as well. Let's just hope the weather cooperates.

I tasting my first brew of this now and it's very good. Primary for 3.5 weeks and bottle conditioned for about 3 weeks. Still a bit green but it'll mellow out in a week or so. Cant wait to brew this one again!

Made this and it's fantastic... I just acquired a bottle of Two-Hearted this weekend, and will try to do a side-by-side test tonight. Adjusted for my 68.4% efficiency:

11 lbs. American 2-row
2 lbs. American Vienna
0.5 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) used as dry hop.
1 pkg. Danstar Nottingham

Will hopefully post pics and reviews tomorrow! :mug:

What were your gravity readings (SG and FG) like on this recipe? I followed it exactly using DB's stove-top all-grain method.

I brewed this a couple weeks back and kegged it last night and force carbed it. This is a great beer! My efficiency sucked cause I was rushing things so my OG was only 1.060, but I finished at about 1.015 so its about 6% abv. Its basically the same recipe as the original except I added a bit more 2 row and I used .75 lb C40 instead of .5 lb C20 to give a little more color, and used Cali ale yeast. I've done about 25 brews in the last 8 mths and this is one of my favorites. I'm looking at buying some bulk Centennial cause I'll be doing this one again this summer for sure!

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.25 lb Briess 2 Row Brewers Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.6 %
2.00 lb Wyerman Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 13.8 %
0.75 lb Briess Crystal 40 (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
0.50 lb Briess Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.60%] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.60%] (15 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.60%] (5 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.60%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.60%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

EDIT: Did a side by side to 2 Hearted and this brew is pretty much dead on - flavor and color. Fantastic beer!

brewed this today with some minor changes, i never tried bells so it should be good even if its not a clone. changes i made were an extra pound of vienna, chinook for bittering, and notty yeast

I'm in the USA and am drinking a metric **** tonne of Two-Hearted.. it's absolutely delicious. My clone was very different though. I used US-05, but I noticed the OP's recipe lists S-04. Is this what Bell's uses? I might bring a few Two-Hearted back, and try to culture some of their yeast.

I'm in the USA and am drinking a metric **** tonne of Two-Hearted.. it's absolutely delicious. My clone was very different though. I used US-05, but I noticed the OP's recipe lists S-04. Is this what Bell's uses? I might bring a few Two-Hearted back, and try to culture some of their yeast.

Bell's uses their own yeast. Nearly all their beers are fermented with it. I would recommend you harvest from a bottle of Oberon (I know it's a wheat beer but they use their house ale yeast). As far as a reasonable commercial option Bells recommends wyeast 1272. I don't know what that translates to in dry yeast but it is less clean, more fruity, and more flocculent than 1056. S-04 is the whitbread strain, which is better than us-05 for this beer but I would highly recommend you harvest your own or if that is not possible use 1272, which IME is pretty close.

Made this and it's fantastic... I just acquired a bottle of Two-Hearted this weekend, and will try to do a side-by-side test tonight. Adjusted for my 68.4% efficiency:

11 lbs. American 2-row
2 lbs. American Vienna
0.5 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) used as dry hop.
1 pkg. Danstar Nottingham

Will hopefully post pics and reviews tomorrow! :mug:

Just bottled my clone. I followed DubbelDach's variation (above) using Death Brewer's Stove-Top All-Grain process. I'll follow up in about a month. :mug:

Brewed this a while back, kegged, and force carbed and brought the whole thing to a get together last weekend. It went over VERY well! Lots of people were raving about it!

This will definitely be a regular brew for me from now on... Thanks!

ThickHead said:
Just bottled my clone. I followed DubbelDach's variation (above) using Death Brewer's Stove-Top All-Grain process. I'll follow up in about a month. :mug:

This sounds great! plan to brew this in about 3 hour.two hearted is one of the finest beers I've ever tasted

Back