Tweak my Bav Hefe please, or NOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I have a solid extract bav hefe based on Jamil "Harold is weizen"

~7# Wheat DME
Hallertau Mittelfruh 1oz 60min
wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 strain.

It turns out good every time, and I like to ferment it out @ around 60deg in my basement. 2 week then 10 days (10psi) slow carb in the keg. Drink till empty

Is there something I can do to fit the winter season a bit? Dunkel?
spiced / darken / up the abv / fruit extract ?

Or should I just make it as normal and do a completely different style?
winter warmer / TBD?

If you have Jamil's recipe for the hefeweizen, I'm assuming you have the Brewing Classic Styles book. Turn the page and check out the Dunkelweizen recipe. If you don't have it, I'll post it. Extract right?

Turning the pg, I actually think I want to make a dunkelweizen.

Wait I want to make a Dunkelweizen on steroids.....Weizenbock

Any comments or experience from the group?

I've got a dunkel weizen conditioning right now. Still has a prominent banana flavor that I'm hoping will dimish with a little aging. This is the recipe I used, its from Ray Daniels.

O.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.015

Ingredients

4 lb 6-row malt
5 lb Wheat malt
2 lb Munich malt
0.25 lb Chocolate malt
1.0 oz Hersbrucker or Saaz - boiled 60 minutes
0.5 oz Hersbrucker - boiled 30 minutes

1.5 tsp gypsum in mash
1.5 tsp gypsum in sparge water

Weizen Yeast - prepared in a starter of at least 1 quart

Procedure
Mash in with 3.75 gallons of 130 deg F water and allow a 20 minute protein rest. Raise mash temperature to 152 degrees F either by direct heating of your mash vessel or by decoction of a portion of the mash. Rest for 30 minutes and then raise to 168 for mash out. Sparge to collect 6 to 7 gallons of wort.

Boil for 90 minutes, or longer if needed to reduce volume.

Begin hop additions 60 minutes before the end of the boil.

After the boil, chill and pitch. Ferment at approximately 65 degrees F, if possible. Higher temperatures will produce a more pronounced banana flavor.

No lagering is required, although cold conditioning for a week after the beer has been carbonated is said to improve the flavor of weizens.

Wheat LME 11#
Munich LME 1.5#
Special B 120L .5#
Crystal 40L .5#
Pale Chocolate 200L .25#
Hallertau 4%AA 1.6oz

What should I ask for to fill in for the Munich LME? The actually sell it in 8# cans I just called them. Not good if I only need 1.5#

Also I have Muntons 55% Wheat 45% Barley DME on hand.
4@3#bags 2@1#bags <-enough for two of my base hef's.

Also how different is what I have from what is in Jamils recipe going to differ?
I have Belgian Special B 145L
I have Chocolate Malt 325L

I would use about 2 lbs of Munich malt instead of the LME. You can do a mini mash on the stove with it just like you would steep the specialty grain. You just need to be a little more specific with water volume and temperature.

As far as the grain you have, the Special B is fine. If you don't have pale chocolate, use half the amount of regular chocolate. I would highly recommend getting some pale chocolate malt. Most online suppliers have it. I know Morebeer and Northern Brewer carry it. All you need is to buy a pound or two. It will last a while. If you need to crush it, just weigh out the couple ounces you need and use a rolling pin and a ziplock bag.

I'd go something like this:
2 lbs Munich
0.5 lb Special B
0.5 lb Crystal 40
2 oz Chocolate Malt

In a separate pot from the boil kettle, add crushed malt to a nylon bag and steep in a gallon of 150 water for 30 minutes. After rinse grain with another gallon of 150-170 water. (You can just dunk the grain bag in a gallon of water in the brew kettle) then combine all the mini mash liquid, add extract and any additional water for boil volume, boil and hop as normal.

I would use about 2 lbs of Munich malt instead of the LME. You can do a mini mash on the stove with it just like you would steep the specialty grain. You just need to be a little more specific with water volume and temperature.

As far as the grain you have, the Special B is fine. If you don't have pale chocolate, use half the amount of regular chocolate. I would highly recommend getting some pale chocolate malt. Most online suppliers have it. I know Morebeer and Northern Brewer carry it. All you need is to buy a pound or two. It will last a while. If you need to crush it, just weigh out the couple ounces you need and use a rolling pin and a ziplock bag.

I'd go something like this:
2 lbs Munich
0.5 lb Special B
0.5 lb Crystal 40
2 oz Chocolate Malt

In a separate pot from the boil kettle, add crushed malt to a nylon bag and steep in a gallon of 150 water for 30 minutes. After rinse grain with another gallon of 150-170 water. (You can just dunk the grain bag in a gallon of water in the brew kettle) then combine all the mini mash liquid, add extract and any additional water for boil volume, boil and hop as normal.

this is the best advice so far. check my sig for partial mash brewing tutorial if you are still unsure about doing PM. it's really easy.

Wow, thanks guys this is great advice and I will be learning a small but new step this weekend.

How much of the DME Wheat would you recommend me substituting for the remaining Wheat LME if I go the stovetop PM 2#Munich, special b, pale choc, crystal method.

Hallertau is not really a great bav hops is it? Might be better off with casace or something else.

cascade? are you crazy? cascade is a citrusy hop for american pale ales. NOT TO BE USED IN GERMAN HEFEWEIZENS.

hallertau, tettnanger or saaz are your best hops.

I already posted this in a PM to the OP, but if going for just a 5 gallon recipe, 6 lbs of Wheat LME is all that is necessary (and conveniently packaged). :)

Brewsmith thanks for talking me into do a PM, I have read a lot about partial mash techniques this weekend and learned a bit this weekend, and your initial tips say it correctly and simply.

I am still not completely sure how much Wheat DME I should be using in this weizenbock recipe.

Jamil says 11#LME, I convert that to be close enough to 9#DME.

Back