computer ideas needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a new notebook computer. I'm a computer idiot, so I need some advice. I need only internet access on the new laptop- no games, etc, will be used and I probably won't even be putting photos or anything on it.

If you wanted a computer like this- and on a budget- what would you get, and why?

Thanks!

I have something similar to this. I use a laptop for about the exact same thing's you are looking for and it works fine.

You can easily pick up a decent laptop for basic use in th 400-700 price range. If you want a bigger screen, expect to spend more toward the high end.

laptop hardware doesnt change that much from one manufacturer to the next aside from a few things like the casing and other plastic parts. reliable tech support and warranty is important and that does change from one company to the next. In my experience Dell is pretty good HP too. but the most valuable resource you'll find when shopping for a laptop is customer reviews online, you want to look at overall construction like does the case or screen crack easily, do the hinges break, how well does the battery hold up, and harddrive problems (laptop hardrives seem to break very easily, not just costing you money if your out of warranty but potentially losing important data). for internet only you dont need anything expensive but you should plan for the future a good laptop should last 4-6 years at least (the battery maybe a little less).
I have nothing good to say about windows vista, if its any option I would get XP!

I like my HP. I got a slightly higher end one than I really needed and I'm a little sorry I went with the 17" screen. It makes the thing way too heavy. 15" would have been fine. Honestly, if it's just for web surfing, get the cheapest one you can find.

Something to think about is the Asus Eee PC. It's a tiny little laptop that is perfect for just browsing the Internet. However, I would recommend that you try to see one in person because it does have a small keyboard and a small screen. You can get one for $300-$400. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZLSXJO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Be careful getting just the cheapest standard laptop you can find. Most of the time the cheaper laptops are big, bulky and heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't go wrong with a dell latitude, swmbo bought one off ebay for 300-400, it was off of a business lease, she's been using it 8-9 hours a day for her hair chopping business, and not one problem.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Get an Mac Book....

Oh wait you said affordable

Get a refurb'd macbook (Apple store, look in the left column toward the bottom for refurb mac).

I think for newbs and experts alike, they are tough to beat. Factor into the price of any Windows based laptop things like AV, Anti-Spyware, etc. and you are close to the cost of a macbook.

I love mine, wouldn't buy another laptop on the market.

Tigerdirect has been throwing down some pretty good notebook deals over the past couple months. Figure out your top budget $ and snag the best spec'd unit in that price range.

I have worked with Toshiba, Dell, Mac, Gateway, Acer, Sony, HP and some off brands. IMHO HP has been the best for notebooks.
+1 on the HP that Bobby_M suggested and linked to. The price is good and for what you are doing you won't need anything better. When you go with cheap laptops you have to be carefull with the type of processor that is put into it. That HP is at least still using an Intel. It may only be a Celeron (their lower end type) but for surfing the internet, it will be fine.

I think for newbs and experts alike, they are tough to beat. Factor into the price of any Windows based laptop things like AV, Anti-Spyware, etc. and you are close to the cost of a macbook.

lol you pay for software???

I mean I totally do too

Back