It's alive! and Leeching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
Brewed my first AG on Saturday, and ended at like 6. By 12 I was already bubbling, and by 4am I had a huge krausen. Last night I got home from work, and man was I glad I put on a blow off tube...This would have been a mess lol.

Cool seeing the fruits of my labor hard at work lol.

Now, I am a little worried though. I was just reading a post about vinyl tubing being bad, and that is what I used for all of my transfers. I did not taste any plasticy notes when I sampled the wort pre/post boil, but are there chemicals that could have been leeched that I should be concerned about?

I hope I don't have to toss it lol
23idu9y.jpg

I am in the same boat. I am not going to worry about the batch I just made. I may upgrade for the next brew, but I really doubt you will notice a vinyl taste. they may have a point with the chemicals. Probably give most of this batch to friends to be safe...lol

lol that is horrible. I am hoping everything will be fine. That would suck for m y first AG brew to be a waste. The wort tasted awesome. I didn't get an plastic flavoring, but let's see after it ferments, and it isn't so sweet.

Do not toss - instead be thankful you but the blow-off tube on! Let the yeast do their work and in a couple of weeks bottle (unless this was a high gravity beer - then maybe ack to secondary.). Your wort/beer isn't in contact with vinyl long enough to be an issue. Just relax and hang on until beer-thirty. :mug:

I doubt you will have any plastic off-flavors from tubing. I use Home Depot tubing and PVC pipe. Leaching hazardous chemicals? Maybe. Off flavors? None I can detect.

Back