Safely bottling mead for transport - Coke bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagroth

Reaction score
So I'd like to take my mead in checked luggage in 12 days. My mead is now at a density of 1.005 ~ 12.8% ABV. In the last few days, it's been going at the same speed post 12% as before reaching 12%, so it isn't done yet despite the fact that it's Wyeast's "Sweet Mead" yeast with a supposed tolerance of 11%. It's very clear, smells wonderful and tastes pretty good. Strong, and not too sweet. Still sparkling. What if I'd bottle it while still sparkling (which means it's still fermenting a bit, am I right?), I'd probably need champagne bottles in that case right? How long would they hold before exploding? Or, since I don't have time to store it before going anyway, maybe I should just put it in plastic Coke bottles? They aren't air proof, so any excess air will sip out and that'd keep them from exploding, wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance!

Back