Tons of flavor one day then no flavor the next - What Happened Overnight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
So i brewed a APA which was awesome. Took 3rd place in a BJCP contest. 2 days ago the beer had amazing aroma and taste and the very next day most of the aroma and taste was gone! It didn't even taste like it had a infection at all!

Beer had 10 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch, all late additions.

It was in 5 gallon corny kegs in a keezer set at 45 degrees. PSI set to 12.

Can someone explain what happened, how it happens, how to prevent it, etc.. So upset.

I'm interested in this too. I brewed a Sam Adams Summer clone. At first it was almost spot on. Then a week later that flavor was gone and it had a weird taste to it. Not infected or anything like that, just loss of flavor (especially the lemon).

Yeah dude, this really sucks.

I want to say oxidiation from transferring from primary to secondary to keg. Or the keg is leaking. But if you have co2 constantly hooked up to it the only place it can leak is the lid because your posts on the keg have disconnects on them. And even if it's leaking from the keg lid I don't think any oxygen can get in because the co2 is under pressure forcing it out of the lid. Not letting anything back in.

So p'd off right now.

Yes I did, but it tasted fine for 3 weeks and then overnight all the flavor and aroma is gone.

I used it in the secondary, not in the keg.

I've found that gelatin strips a lot of flavor and aroma, I stopped using it for ipa's and pales.
Although it should have done it faster than 3 weeks. Most people use way to much.

_

I add gelatin to my secondary and only let it sit for 2 days. I let it clear up even more in the keg. I always wondering if what you described causes something like that.

I've found that gelatin and filtering in general have stripped a lot of flavor and body out of my beers and have abandoned both in my process. Not sure why it would have taken so long in your case however and not convinced that's the root cause here. Was it just hop flavor or does the beer also show a malt flavor/body loss as well?

In my case 10 out of 10 times the taste difference is my perception and taste buds. Did someone else try the beer and concur with your findings? I've had colds, sinus issues, food I consumed prior to drinking all effect my tastes and then I go back to the beer in a few days and it is fine.

Obviously your case may be completely different.

Interesting. I find the exact opposite with gelatine. Cloudy beer smells and tastes way too yeasty to me, covering up that malt and hop character. Once my beer drops clear, it tastes way more balanced and, well, like beer...not a glass of yeast.

Back to the OP, is the beer overcarbed? With a carbonic bite to it, it might override the hops/malt. Just a thought.

Interesting. I find the exact opposite with gelatine. Cloudy beer smells and tastes way too yeasty to me, covering up that malt and hop character. Once my beer drops clear, it tastes way more balanced and, well, like beer...not a glass of yeast.

I totally agree, with more malt forward beers, my bitter is great after gelatin, but it just kills nearly all dryhopping aroma, and some bitterness from ipa's. Perhaps strong hop flavor masks "yeasty" flavor, because I don't get that in my ipa's. I still think it would have manifested itself way faster than 3 weeks if the galatin was to blame, and I do think perception has some to do with it as well.

_

In my case 10 out of 10 times the taste difference is my perception and taste buds.

+1

There aren't many things that will cause a beer to change dramatically overnight under those conditions. I can't think of anything, actually.

I totally agree, with more malt forward beers, my bitter is great after gelatin, but it just kills nearly all dryhopping aroma, and some bitterness from ipa's. Perhaps strong hop flavor masks "yeasty" flavor, because I don't get that in my ipa's. I still think it would have manifested itself way faster than 3 weeks if the galatin was to blame, and I do think perception has some to do with it as well.

_

Well put. I haven't brewed a really dominant hoppy beer in a while, so my opinion is rather biased by what I've been sampling lately.

I've found that gelatin and filtering in general have stripped a lot of flavor and body out of my beers and have abandoned both in my process. Not sure why it would have taken so long in your case however and not convinced that's the root cause here. Was it just hop flavor or does the beer also show a malt flavor/body loss as well?

It was not just the hop aroma or flavor. The overall beer flavor just was not there.

In my case 10 out of 10 times the taste difference is my perception and taste buds. Did someone else try the beer and concur with your findings? I've had colds, sinus issues, food I consumed prior to drinking all effect my tastes and then I go back to the beer in a few days and it is fine.

Obviously your case may be completely different.

You know I really did think of that at first. I thought maybe I had a stuffy nose or something else but i did have some other people drink it and it just wasn't there. I had my wife also taste it and she said "it taste smokey". i tried not to laugh but I did, how in the heck does it taste smokey?!

Back to the OP, is the beer overcarbed? With a carbonic bite to it, it might override the hops/malt. Just a thought.

The beer is not over carbed. In fact, i think it is slightly undercarbed.

Long shot, but I've notice after I swim in the evenings my hoppy beers taste much different than other days that I don't swim. I think the salt water desensitizes my pallet for a few hours.

Yeah, but where is the guy going to swim in salt water in Ohio?

I agree that it's probably your taste buds.

Back