Questions on RIMS brewing basics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I just can't find a simple answer. I have almost completed my single tier brewstand with a direct fire RIMS. (I will post the build when it is done ) How do you sparge with a RIMS? I have figured I would use the total water amount for mash and sparge and just up the temps after the inital mash time to "sparge". I would like to know the proper way to maximize my system. My stand is a single tier three burner with a single pump. Should I mash and then pump the sparge water in? My only concern would be disrupting the bed. Thanks everybody!

I use a RIMS tube. Since I'm recirculating the mash the grain bed is pretty solid. I transfer the first runnings to my boil pot with a pump. I then pump water from the HLT to the MLT and stir. I then recirculate for a couple of minutes and then pump the runnings to my BK. Repeat.

I pump through the RIMS tube. That way I'm not wasting any of the runnings inside the tube or lines. Some go thought the RIMS tube and than through the valve on the MLT to 'reset' the grain bed.

Back