BIAB question about steamer basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm getting ready to do my first BIAB beer, and I want to use the steamer basket that came with my kettle, as I've read others have done, to keep the bag from burning to the bottom of the kettle, and to prevent the bag from tearing at the seams.

My question is this:
My steamer basket has feet that have been kind of dimpled out from the bottom of the basket, as opposed to having an actual foot welded on. The dimples are AT MOST a half-inch deep, probably more like 1/4". Also, as the feet are pounded out of the bottom of the steamer, the nylon bag can still come in contact with the basket at the contact points.

Will these little dimple feet provide enough of a separation between bag and kettle, or should I add on some longer legs using, say, SS nuts and bolts? I guess I'm worried that heat will use the contact points between kettle and basket to easily get to the nylon bag.

Thanks in advance!

For my first BIAB, I tried using my steamer basket, but quickly realized that since it's somewhat smaller than the turkey fryer, half of my grains weren't even wet. I'd suggest doing a dry run to make sure your grains will fit in.

Since I don't really have a false bottom because of this, what I do is heat my water to strike, turn off the flame, and then add the grains. If I need to raise the temp, I add hot water. I'll sometimes set the kettle on the ground, thinking that the ground will provide better insulation than the burner stand.

The only thing I miss with this setup is more support for the bag when I remove it.

I'd say that if you add the bag after you turn your flame off, and don't directly heat with the bag in the kettle, you should be fine with those dimples.

I have done 3 BIAB batches; I heat my water to strike temp, turn off flame, add the bag (clipped to top of kettle), add grains, stir WELL. Then I wrap the kettle in a sleeping bag; at the most it has lost only 2 -3 degrees. No need for a basket.

Will these little dimple feet provide enough of a separation between bag and kettle, or should I add on some longer legs using, say, SS nuts and bolts? I guess I'm worried that heat will use the contact points between kettle and basket to easily get to the nylon bag.

Thanks in advance!

I would think that the basket will provide ample separation to keep the bag from melting. Of course, take it easy w/ the heat, and an occasional stir would likely be in order. YMMV

Back