Bargain Fittings help & advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godrick

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of bargain fittings for my mash tun and kettle.

I'm not really impressed at the quality of the installation on my mash tun, though it has no leaks (it just feels insecure).

Now I'm wondering if I really want to drill a hole in my new 175.00 brew kettle. What kind of an installation will I end up with? Will the fitting be kind of loose and insecure & needing frequent adjustment?

How have these fittings worked out for others?

Thanks for any input:mug:

what type of tun? on my 10 gallon beverage cooler the the weldless does seem to move a little but I have never had to adjust it .

On the kettle they are very solid

newboilpot.JPG

also rock solid on the HLT

NewHLT.JPG

I just purchased a set of bargain fittings for my mash tun and kettle.

I'm not really impressed at the quality of the installation on my mash tun, though it has no leaks (it just feels insecure).

Now I'm wondering if I really want to drill a hole in my new 175.00 brew kettle. What kind of an installation will I end up with? Will the fitting be kind of loose and insecure & needing frequent adjustment?

How have these fittings worked out for others?

Thanks for any input:mug:

Is your mash tun a plastic cooler? Ive used nothing but bargain fittings and dont have any problems with them. All feel great and tight.
The only thing I changed out on the plastic cooler for my mash tun was the nipple. The one supplied was too long. I went with the close nipple.

Its upto you if you want to drill and install the weldless fittings or you might be able to find a local welder to weld them in for you.
002.jpg

My tun is a Rubbermade picnic cooler. It doesn't leak, but I can turn the entire assembly with one finger (clockwise or counter clockwise).

My kettle is a 15 gallon megapot. From your pictures, it looks like a good installation. How much trouble was the drilling process? I don't have a step drill and they go for about 55.00 around here so I was just going to use regular drills and grind to a final opening size. Your thoughts?

:mug:

My tun is a Rubbermade picnic cooler. It doesn't leak, but I can turn the entire assembly with one finger (clockwise or counter clockwise).

My kettle is a 15 gallon megapot. From your pictures, it looks like a good installation. How much trouble was the drilling process? I don't have a step drill and they go for about 55.00 around here so I was just going to use regular drills and grind to a final opening size. Your thoughts?

:mug:

I would use a step bit.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96275

Also, if you can turn the entire assembly. I would either add more washers or buy another smaller (shorter) nipple which will make it tighter.

How secure do you expect it to be when it's mounted to soft plastic layered between soft insulation? If it don't leak it will be fine, the kettle will be rock solid. You can get a step bit for way less than $55, I wouldn't do a kettle without one.

The job is done and it worked out great. Nice, solid installation. Thanks again for all the helpful input.

For what it's worth - I didn't need the step bits. Standard bits, oil, emery cloth, badabing - badaboom - done in five minutes!

Thanks again:mug:

Back