Whoops, my Irish Stout is an Irish Brown...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of beer for a St. Patrick's day party yesterday, but to keep it cheap I kind of made it a kitchen sink beer to use up stuff I had left over. In addition to roasted barley (which I didn't weigh), I threw in maybe a half pound of caramel 120, caramel 60 and a bit of victory and some flaked barley. Unfortunately it seem I had less roasted barley than I thought and looking at it today, well, it looks pretty brown. Maybe darkish brown, but definitely not stout dark.

I subscribe to the philosophy that no matter what it will be beer, and likely tasty. However, I'd prefer it to be more stoutish...

If I were to go grab some more roasted barley tomorrow, steep it in a little water and mix it in after a few days of primary fermentation, would that potentially work? Or is that a bad idea?

I could always add a little black food coloring I suppose :)

Steeping some roasted barley would be worth a shot but make sure you boil the water or what ever it would be called that you drain off of the grain before you add it to your beer so as not to infect it. You could add a little 2 row to it as well and do sort of a mini mash if you wanted to. That way maybe you would not really water the beer down any.

Latest posts

Back