Dish soap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigers

Reaction score
Im pretty new to this whole home-brewing thing, and I think I may have made a big mistake. Im getting ready to bottle my first batch today and with out thinking about it I cleaned the bottles out with dish soap.

Will it be ok if I just sanitize them now? Will the dish soap keep the beer from fermenting in the bottle? What can I do?

Thanks for all of your help!!

Just rinse the bottles very well, to get rid of any soap residue, before sanitizing them.

I don't use soap on any of my brewing gear, because it's a "head killer" more than anything else, and can leave a taste if not rinsed well. It definitely won't harm the beer though, or keep it from carbonating.

I agree, you wanna make sure you clean them out. I usually let them all rest in a sink of hot water with a small scoop of oxyclean. After a bit of time in there I wash them out and let them dry. Before bottling mix up a batch of water and starsan and give each one a good dunk and swirl to sanitize and you are g2g.

Youre good. I wash my empties out with dish soap all the time. I figure its the best way to clean my bottles "on the spot".

What I do for bottles is after I drink the beer, I give it a quick rinse in soapy water so the yeast doesn't get stuck in the bottle. Then, before I bottle I run all my bottles through the dishwasher with no soap.

I use dish soap on all my brewing equipment: pot, auto siphon, hose, fermentor, bottling bucket, bottles. I've never had any problems. This is the first I've heard anyone not recommending it.

Rinse, rinse and rinse again. Dish soap in bottles ruined my first batch, and I'll never forget it. But after rinsing with hot water, those buggers will be plenty sanitized. You can just fill em up.

I've never used soap on any of my wine or beer equipment, but it sounds like others have without any problems.

Keep in mind that washing and sanitizing are two different things. To my mind, cleaning will NOT replace sanitizing, hot water or no. The water would have to be nearly boiling to kill the microbes that can ruin beer.

I often don't have to wash my bottles before sanitizing, because I clean them well after using them. A quick rinse if they are dusty, and I'm set to sanitize.

I've been reading everyone suggesting StarSans but I have been thinking hot water, a couple cap fulls of Clorox, then rinse would do the trick as well. I haven't done it but was thinking about that for my next (second) batch. Does anyone have any pros/cons to this?

I have only used bleach as a sanitize agent for over 20 years with no issues. Just clean your equipment first, then sanitize it. A couple of cup fulls in a primary fermenter full of water works great. soak stuff for 30 mins and drip dry. you wont taste or smell the bleach. It has worked for me. Good luck on your next batch!!

+1 for using soap on my bottles. I keg and only fill a couple bottles for special occasions but have never had an issue with it. I rinse em well but I'm not obsessive about it. Add a little water, a small squirt of soap. Shake, dump, fill to the top with fresh water to flush the bubbles, dump, add a little water, shake, dump, repeat a couple times and let em dry.

All my little brewing bits and pieces get soap as well. The carboys, kegs and beer lines get PBW.

I think the dish soap makes a difference. My wife just switched from some other dish soap to Dawn dish soap and any glasses washed w/ it (i feel like i now rinse like crazy) the head falls fast. Actually have had some when I poured sounded and looked like pouring a coke.

If it pours like soda and head dies, glasses are too clean. Try rinsing with cold water before pouring beer. Works for me when I use my crystal lager glasses

I don't get soap around any of my brewing equipment or bottles. PBW and Starsan only.

Back