POS siphon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So just racked and bottled my trappist ale that has been in primary for 3 weeks. It has been tasting and smelling good, was super psyched, until now. I think I oxygenated it while racking to bottling bucket.
About 4/5th's of the way down, I started noticing tiny bubbles floating backwards toward the primary, then it stopped siphoning. When trying to get it back going again, I injected some air/bubbles into the primary and bottling bucket. I struggled to get it going again, and after injecting some more air and stirring up the trub on bottom, I called it quits and left the remaining 1/2 gallon or so in the primary.

My siphon is a little special Ed cause I tried to siphon boiling water threw it once, so it's a little "curvey", but still worked fine until now.

So my question in the end is, how easy is it to oxygenate your beer? I'd be really bummed if this screwed it up!

From my experience it's usually more then just some exposure to 02 to screw the beer it. If you shake the crap out of it or leave it exposed for a length of time, that is more of an issue.

If you are really worried, just drink this batch quickly! :)

Yeah I had pretty much the same issue with a gluten free beer I brewed for a buddy. Still turned out fine

So just racked and bottled my trappist ale that has been in primary for 3 weeks. It has been tasting and smelling good, was super psyched, until now. I think I oxygenated it while racking to bottling bucket.
About 4/5th's of the way down, I started noticing tiny bubbles floating backwards toward the primary, then it stopped siphoning. When trying to get it back going again, I injected some air/bubbles into the primary and bottling bucket. I struggled to get it going again, and after injecting some more air and stirring up the trub on bottom, I called it quits and left the remaining 1/2 gallon or so in the primary.

My siphon is a little special Ed cause I tried to siphon boiling water threw it once, so it's a little "curvey", but still worked fine until now.

So my question in the end is, how easy is it to oxygenate your beer? I'd be really bummed if this screwed it up!

The bubbles you were seeing in the beginning were Co2 that was created by the yeast and held in suspension. When you siphon, this creats negative pressure that "sucks" the Co2 in suspension out which then causes the siphon to stop flowing.

Make sure both ends of the siphon tube are submerged, and if this keeps happening, raise the level of the bucket you are siphoning into in relation to the bucket you are siphoning form. This will, in effect, reduce the level of vacuum inside the siphon tube.

hope this helps...

So is it possible i oxygenated the beer and will see off flavors?

Auto-siphon gaskets will wear out over time. Air will pull through it like you experienced. I use a little keg lube around the gasket and it helps a ton. Not sure about your warped cane though - might need to consider buying a new one.

I use a product called the easy siphon (or was it EZ syphon?) Anyway, i use the largest hose i can and long enough to set one vessel on the table and one on the floor. The hose reaches the bottom of the lower vessel so the liquid doesnt splash and it works like a champ.

Before use, i sanitize the entire thing and the hose with idophor or starsan and try not to handle the parts that will come in contact with beer.

Occasionally I get just a few bubbles in there but usually it is flowing so fast they just push right out.

My experience with the auto siphon made me glad i never got a job blowing up balloons. Threw it away soon after.

Yah, ill order a new siphon ASAP, but I'm worried about my brew being ruined. I guess it's too late for anything, its bottled and finished. But I guess I can expect cardboard taste if it is oxidized?

I've had worse siphoning sessions that what you've described here without adverse effects. The beer will probably be just fine.

No way is it ruined. Don't worry about it. I've found extra 02 only matters if it's a beer you plan on aging or keeping around for many months. Even then, it's still beer and the 02 won't ruin it, just dull or change the flavor. And what you describe isn't long term 02 so I think it's fine. There was more 02 present when you chilled and put it into the fermenter. And there is even more 02 in your bottling bucket, it's not like you purged that with C02 before you put beer in it. DWRHAHB :mug:

It's not ruined, you'll probably not notice oxygenation at all.

The past two autosiphons I've bought have been 1/2". One of the best purchases I've ever made. They seem to start easier and boy do they cut the siphon time down. I use 7/16" ID hose heated up in hot water and stretched on. No worm bands or anything needed and not air gets in.

Back