******* FedEx Driver (mild rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
As many of you may or may not know, when it snows here, I tend to get some pretty serious snowdrifts. Well I was snowed in today, and was a bit lazy since I had nowhere to go, so I was putting off digging out the snowthrower. I finally got the ambition to dig myself out and was heading out the door, only to find a package on my back stoop that the FedEx driver had left (only three days late, BTW). Cool, I thought, it's finally here, and on a Sunday to boot.

So I go to my garage, get out the snowthrower, and get to work, only to be interrupted by the FedEx dude. Um, excuse me, I seem to be stuck in your driveway, he says. I look over, and he's not even in my driveway, he's in my yard! In his infinite wisdom, he thought it would be better to back into the driveway instead of pulling in straight. And missed very badly. He's up to his floorboards in snow. In a FedEx truck!. He didn't have a shovel with him, nor a towstrap, not even any salt or sand to put under the wheels. So yours truly had to spend the next hour digging him out. he had originally borrowed my shovel and dug a tiny little path away from the front tires, and then proceeded to spin his wheels even deeper. So I took the shovel away, dug all around the truck, and underneath the truck, to get all the snow out of there. I then spread out a little salt, dug the floor mats out of my pickup and put them under the drive wheels and drove his truck onto the road. I'll never let any online order be shipped with FedEx again. Anybody that dumb shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.:mad::mad:

Be sure to take pictures of the truck and the license plate. Come spring if you've got any broken pipes, shrubs, or torn up lawn they should cover the cost.

Seriously. Save the package number, get the name of the driver and the license plate of the truck, and file a formal complaint. Sounds like at the very least he tore up your lawn... not cool...

Naw, he didn't tear up the lawn. It's wintertime. The lawn is frozen solid. I just didn't appreciate having to dig him out. He shoulda been prepared enough to be able to do it himself.

Well....I understand your fustration....but..... I used to do service calls all the time for an electrical contractor. When it snows and people don't clear out their driveways....it's a crap shoot where the damn thing is. Your best bet is to turn at a mail box and make a bee-line for the garage. I've turfed up a couple of front yards. Of course the boss reimbursed the customer for damage and I appologized...but I wouldn't call the dude stupid. Accidents happen...at least you were a good enough samaritan to help get him out....But I would surely contact FEDEX and tell them about the situation...explain the driver was courteous and you helped him out, but after the snow melts you would appreciate a visit from them to access the damage.

You realize the "smart" thing for the driver to do would be to drive away and try to deliver tomorrow.
So would you prefer he took the chance on your driveway to deliver or wait until you cleaned it up?

Craig

He drives for a living, you would think he could back into a driveway.

If you've lived somewhere where it actually snows you would know that often it is very difficult to determine where a driveway is under the snow.

Now backing a delivery truck off of the street when you are not sure where the driveway is, is a pretty stupid maneuver. However I have seen many worse maneuvers in the snow so i wouldn't judge him too harsh. Obviously the driver was somewhat inexperienced in snow, which is not a good thing for a commercial driver in WI.

Craig

Well....I understand your fustration....but..... I used to do service calls all the time for an electrical contractor. When it snows and people don't clear out their driveways....it's a crap shoot where the damn thing is. Your best bet is to turn at a mail box and make a bee-line for the garage. I've turfed up a couple of front yards. Of course the boss reimbursed the customer for damage and I appologized...but I wouldn't call the dude stupid. Accidents happen...at least you were a good enough samaritan to help get him out....But I would surely contact FEDEX and tell them about the situation...explain the driver was courteous and you helped him out, but after the snow melts you would appreciate a visit from them to access the damage.

Interesting. That's what I do for a living now. I'm not dumb enough to try to back into someone's driveway. The guy would have been here less than a minute. He should have left the truck on the road and walked to the steps and dropped the package.
And I don't think he had much experience dealing with the snow. He had absolutely no clue how to dig out and was totally unprepared.

WTF? I see those trucks standing in the road all the time. Why didnt he throw on the flashers on and run in and deliver the package real quick.

If you've lived somewhere where it actually snows you would know that often it is very difficult to determine where a driveway is under the snow.

I spent the first 28 years of my life in Michigan, during which time I drove truck for an excavating company. Most of my deliveries went offroad with a truck that weighed in excess of 100,000 pounds. I know of what I speak. ;)

Back