Brett Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the yeast is not a big problem (only the sacc) maybe i'll make first a dry stout and after use the slurry, i used this metod with my imperial stout and works perfectly!

is strange how two calculators give very different results! mr malty say 2packet brewer friends calculator say 5 packet!

Safale claims >6 billion cells per gram of dried yeast; or ~70 billion per 11.5g sachet:
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

That is where most of us are getting the 3+ packet number. I would recommend using the manufacturers numbers over those provided by an on-line calculator; calculators can contain errors, or may be based on a different companies standards.

Bryan

Safale claims >6 billion cells per gram of dried yeast; or ~70 billion per 11.5g sachet:
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

That is where most of us are getting the 3+ packet number. I would recommend using the manufacturers numbers over those provided by an on-line calculator; calculators can contain errors, or may be based on a different companies standards.

Bryan
the 20 billion/gr number has been verified by several lab experiments, as noted in the links i provided.

maybe the difference is direct pitching vs. rehydration?

the yeast manufacturers have an interest in you buying 3 instead of 2 packets...

the 20 billion/gr number has been verified by several lab experiments, as noted in the links i provided.

maybe the difference is direct pitching vs. rehydration?

the yeast manufacturers have an interest in you buying 3 instead of 2 packets...

The last link you provided refutes the 20B/gm number; 20B/gm is observed in rehydrated cultures by hemocytometer (which doesn't determine viability; only net cell numbers). When plated to test for viability, 5-7B/gm is what is recovered.

IMO, with yeast being as cheap as it is, I'd go with more instead of less; even homebrew pitch rates are low compared to commercial pitch rates, meaning even if there is 20B/gm viable yeast per sachet, you should still be OK. But with a big beer, underpitching could cause some real issues.

B

i start reading american sour beer and in the first parte of the book he said that in sour black beer is better to use dehusked malt like caraffa and also is better to use less roasted grain that in a normale beer.
i decided to use more or less 14% of roasted/chocolate grain because i used this percentage in a imperial stout and worked well but now i started asking my self is better to reduce roasted grain and to use dehusked grains...
what do you think about?

I had read that same claim elsewhere, before the publication of the book (I think Chad Yakobson was the first to describe the over-production of phenols by brett exposed to too much dark malt). I've (somewhat blindly) follow this advice, and generally replace about half of the dark malts with their dehusked equivalents. To date that method has worked very well - I've not once developed phenolic flavours at a level which was unpleasant. I've had beers that were upto 20% dark malts (e.g., SRM's in the 50-70 range) brewed this way that were delicious - i.e. beers containing 10% "normal" dark malts + 10% debittered. As such, I think your approach should be fine.

That said, I've also not experimented much in this area. Likewise, phenol production varies greatly between different strains of brett, so your 14% may be good with some strains but not with others. To be cautious it may be worth avoiding the more phenolic strains on your first attempt.

On a non-brett note, I've found that I enjoy the character of the 50/50 normal/debittered dark malt mix far more than 100% normal malt version - even when brewing conventional porters and stouts. You can really bring out the coffee and chocolate notes without excessive astringency or dryness that often arises when you push these aspects of your malt bill. You may want to try replacing some of the normal malts with debittered just to experience the difference it makes in your beer - with or without brett.

Bryan

i start reading american sour beer and in the first parte of the book he said that in sour black beer is better to use dehusked malt like caraffa and also is better to use less roasted grain that in a normale beer.
my personal experience backs this up. i've made two brett'ed dark beers, and both took a long time for the roast and astringency to fade to a point where the beer was drinkable (they eventually turned out to be very tasty but they took over a year). after the brett chews through the residual sugars, there is little left to counter the impact of the roast malts. solution: use less roast.

i decided to use more or less 14% of roasted/chocolate grain because i used this percentage in a imperial stout and worked well but now i started asking my self is better to reduce roasted grain and to use dehusked grains...
what do you think about?
i would suggest using less, and mixing regular and dehusked.

I know the Tart of Darkness clone from Morebeer uses some chocolate malt. Personally, I have done two dark funky beers: a 100% brett trois porter and a dark session ale with Roselare. Both times I used Carafa II and debitterized black malt and got a lot of my color from dark crystal malts as well. Both beers turned out very well. Neither are what I would call chocolatey, but they both had good roasted malt character.

You can also try cold-steeping your grains and adding them later to reduce astringency. Maybe some cold steeped roasted barley can give you that chocolate/coffee character without much astringency. But I'm just spitballing. Your results may vary.

thanks to all
i'm going to reduce the chocolate malt to 0,4kg instead of 0,5kg and remove the roasted barley and add 0,4kg of the dehusked version
i'll let you know when i brewed it!

I can share my results.

I brewed a 1.120 beer mashed at 158f and ended up at 14%abv at 1.024 finished gravity. It's awesome in my opinion. It needed force carb to bottle, but it's great. The roast of mine stood up to the increasing sweetness. I say if you try, mash high, use enough roast, and be patient. It took me 9 months to reach 1.024. The roast is important as the hops die off to prevent the beer from tasting too sweet.

i made this test using a part of a bigger batch, i do not remember the numbers perfectly but the og was something about 1120 and the final gravity was around 1015/1020, I didn't like the combo brett + roasty so i aborted the idea to make a bigger batch

Back