My Automated 3-tier System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trub quaffer

Reaction score
Man, I'm happy to say this project is finally done. Now I can get back to brewing! I spent a lot of time on these forums piecing together ideas from many awesome systems to design a nearly perfect 3-tier system for my brewing process.

Unfortunately, I have very little electrical knowledge and know even less about welding so the majority of the construction was done by my nephew.
20130630_7-60385.jpg

20130630_8-60386.jpg

The frame is made of 1.5" square tubular steel. It has a footprint of 2 feet by 4 feet and the top shelf is 5"6". that puts the top of the HLT at about 7'6". a little higher than most but since I have a collapsible water line to it, not really an issue.
20130630_18-60387.jpg

20130630_17-60388.jpg

20130630_11-60389.jpg

The heat for the HLT is supplied by a low pressure propane hurricane burner. The temperature is regulated by a Honeywell VR8200 valve and Auber SYL-2362 PID controller. The PID gets feedback from an RTD sensor installed in the HLT's sightglass tee that I got from Brew Hardware (great stuff Bobby!)
20130630_14-60390.jpg

The boil kettle is heated by a high pressure jet burner from a turkey fryer that I've brewed on for the last 10 years. Had to incorporate something from the old into the new. The shelf that the MLT sits on is removable. I installed my grain mill on a second shelf so I can mill right on the brew stand.
20130630_13-60391.jpg

I'd like to add a thermowell to my cooler MLT sometime in the near future so I could monitor the temp via a thermocouple connected to a temperature display on my control panel. Does anyone know where in the U.S. I can find a temperature display like that? I've seen ones on Ebay that I can order from China, but I'm not ordering out of the country.

I can't wait to fire this bad boy up and get brewing! Mmm, I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it... :mug:

Back