Polarware Brew Kettle - Opinions sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brewer

Reaction score
I am a new brewer (never brewed yet!) trying to assemble the right set of equipment and would prefer to buy pieces individually as opposed to purchasing a kit.

For a brew kettle, I have been looking at the Polarware Brew Kettles available from morebeer.com. I liked the notion of a built in thermometer, and the fact that they will notch the lid so that you can insert a wort chiller specifically designed to fit the Polarware kettle.

One question...

Is the spigot on the brew kettle a good thing? Is that something that I need/want or is that something that is simply going to creating a sanitizing/filtering issue?

Putting aside the cost of the brew kettle (argh!), is this a decent solution going forward?

Thanks, as always.

Good brewing to ya,
Matt

A Polarware kettle with all of the options is certainly a good way to go, but you could probably get into a keggle with a thermometer and ball valve at roughly the same price depending on what size kettle you're looking at.

The 10 gallon is listed at $165 @ morebeer.com and that's without any shipping charges. I'd venture to say that you could get a 15 gallon keggle for roughly the same price - much less if you have the ability to cut and drill it yourself.

Does the spigot not get gunked up with break? I am just trying to imagine the process of racking to primary...am I connecting tubing from the spigot...through a strainer and funnel and into the carboy?

Sorry for the beginner's questions, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

heya Boston...there's a whole lot of facters involved in choosing a boil vessel. Cost, chilling method etc etc. My opinion?? a spigot is a huge asset on the kettle, if you're using an immersion chiller, use it to stir your wort as it chills, after chilling remove the chiller and let break material settle. It will settle in a nice neat pile in the middle and won't be an issue.
If you plan on using whole hops, they work as a natural filter for break material although a screen of some type is recommended on the inside of your kettle to stop it all from coming out the spigot.
There are tons of reading on the web, check some brewers pages out and make informed decisions.
I personally went from stock pots to kegs for all of my vessels and will never turn back. They are tough as nails and can take some serious abuse. They are also half the price of the polarwears and volraths.

no, the spigot is usually about an inch up from the bottom, so you clear a lot of the trub and hot break material.

some put a screen filter over it, or when they drain it to the fermenter put a filtering device over the fermenter..fine mesh paint strainers seem to be popular and easy to use.

Latest posts

Back