Maximum black malt per 5-gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
What's the most black patent malt you've ever used in a 5 gallon batch, and how was the resulting beer? Some sources (I'm especially thinking Palmer here, in "How to Brew") warn that anything over about 8 ounces will make a beer taste like charcoal. I want to make a porter with no roast, and I'm a bit curious about how much black it'll take to bring out the right color, and what the corresponding flavor effects will be.

Black patent is mainly used to add darkness to your beer. The flavor is something you don't want at all. IMHO. I've used 8 oz. with great success, but in my imperial stout I only used 4 oz. because the other malts I used were sufficiently dark.

Definitely don't go with too much Black Patent!

If you need to adjust your color afterwards you can always use Sinamar:

SINAMAR® is produced solely from our roasted malt CARAFA® SPECIAL, according to the strict German "Reinheitsgebot" (purity-law). This law allows the brewer to use only the following four ingredients:

MALT - HOPS - YEAST - WATER

To get the characteristic color and extract, SINAMAR® is carefully evaporated in a vacuum process, finely filtered and canisters and containers of different sizes are filled directly at 158°F - 167°F (70 - 75°C).

Due to this special treatment the taste of SINAMAR® is less bitter.
SINAMAR® causes no turbidity and remains pH stable.

According to federal regulations, SINAMAR® does not need to be labeled with a so-called E-number (European Community Number). A declaration as malt extract, barley malt extract or roasted malt extract is sufficient.

SINAMAR® is perfectly suited for coloring foods such as: baked goods, beer, non-alcoholic drinks, spirits, pharmaceutical products and tea etc. SINAMAR® is gluten free.

In order to raise the color of 1 hl beer though 1 EBC, 14 gr. of SINAMAR® is required.

Unopened containers have a 1 year shelf-life.
Once opened, contents should be used immediately and stored cool.

Ive used a whole pound before in an experimental brew, but I had 5 other grains and with adjunts, and a heavy hop ratio. You definately could taste the sharpness due to the black patent, but this one turned out great. Of course it was black as midnight (...black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch.)

But like everyone said so far, use sparingly for color 4-8 oz only, unless you are wanting that taste.

Back