Difference Between Stout and Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
I have been putting together some experimental extract and steep recipes and want to try my hand at a darker ale. I really can't see from recipes that I have read what the main difference between a stout and a porter are. Are stouts supposed to be more hop flavored, are porters supposed to be more sweet in taste? Since the recipes that I have seen look very similar, what is the difference or what should be the difference?

:confused:

I think the main difference is that Stouts use roasted barley, while Porters tend to use darker malts. Stouts will have that 'roasted' or 'coffee' flavor present, and porters will be more malty.

Many modern examples of stout and porter really don't differ that much. I think if you went back to the industrial days in England you would know how they differ. Original porters were probably smokey from the fire kilned "brown" malt and slightly sour from Brett. Most were aged for extended periods in wooden barrels and then blended with younger porters, kind of like Geuze.
It does seem like most stouts are bigger on body and mouthfeel. I think an important part of a stout is roasted barley, which lends a grainy coffee/bitter chocolate taste.

Iordz said:
... Most were aged for extended periods in wooden barrels and then blended with younger porters, kind of like Geuze...

Ive heard it slightly different. The way I heard it was porters were the working mans beer, not the best quality. As the ale in the casks got old and infections grew more apparent, newer ale was mixed in to make it less noticeable. Eventually the style caught on and brewers made the stout, originally a stout porter.

I agree that roast barley is essential in a stout recipe.

From the BJCP website:
(I picked styles that I thought were hardest to distinguish from one another. See www.bjcp.org for more complete information.)

12B. Robust Porter said:
Aroma: Roasty aroma (often with a lightly burnt, black malt character) should be noticeable and may be moderately strong. Optionally may also show some additional malt character in support (grainy, bready, toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, rich, and/or sweet). Hop aroma low to high (US or UK varieties). Some American versions may be dry-hopped. Fruity esters are moderate to none. Diacetyl low to none.

Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in color. Clarity may be difficult to discern in such a dark beer, but when not opaque will be clear (particularly when held up to the light). Full, tan-colored head with moderately good head retention.

Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a lightly burnt, black malt character (and sometimes chocolate and/or coffee flavors) with a bit of roasty dryness in the finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet, depending on grist composition, hop bittering level, and attenuation. May have a sharp character from dark roasted grains, although should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavor can vary from low to moderately high (US or UK varieties, typically), and balances the roasted malt flavors. Diacetyl low to none. Fruity esters moderate to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from roasted grains, although this character should not be strong.

Overall Impression: A substantial, malty dark ale with a complex and flavorful roasty character.

History: Stronger, hoppier and/or roastier version of porter designed as either a historical throwback or an American interpretation of the style. Traditional versions will have a more subtle hop character (often English), while modern versions may be considerably more aggressive. Both types are equally valid.

Comments: Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavors can also vary significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-products; thus may seem to have an "American" or "English" character.

Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering, flavor and/or aroma, and are frequently UK or US varieties. Water with moderate to high carbonate hardness is typical. Ale yeast can either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.048 - 1.065
FG: 1.012 - 1.016
IBUs: 25 - 50+
SRM: 22 - 35+
ABV: 4.8 - 6%

Commercial Examples: Anchor Porter, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, Bell's Porter, Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper, Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter, Portland Haystack Black Porter, Avery New World Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Redhook Blackhook Porter
13E. American Stout said:
Aroma: Moderate to strong aroma of roasted malts, often having a roasted coffee or dark chocolate quality. Burnt or charcoal aromas are low to none. Medium to very low hop aroma, often with a citrusy or resiny American hop character. Esters are optional, but can be present up to medium intensity. Light alcohol-derived aromatics are also optional. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Generally a jet black color, although some may appear very dark brown. Large, persistent head of light tan to light brown in color. Usually opaque.

Flavor: Moderate to very high roasted malt flavors, often tasting of coffee, roasted coffee beans, dark or bittersweet chocolate. May have a slightly burnt coffee ground flavor, but this character should not be prominent if present. Low to medium malt sweetness, often with rich chocolate or caramel flavors. Medium to high bitterness. Hop flavor can be low to high, and generally reflects citrusy or resiny American varieties. Light esters may be present but are not required. Medium to dry finish, occasionally with a light burnt quality. Alcohol flavors can be present up to medium levels, but smooth. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Can be somewhat creamy, particularly if a small amount of oats have been used to enhance mouthfeel. Can have a bit of roast-derived astringency, but this character should not be excessive. Medium-high to high carbonation. Light to moderately strong alcohol warmth, but smooth and not excessively hot.

Overall Impression: A hoppy, bitter, strongly roasted Foreign-style Stout (of the export variety).

Comments: Breweries express individuality through varying the roasted malt profile, malt sweetness and flavor, and the amount of finishing hops used. Generally has bolder roasted malt flavors and hopping than other traditional stouts (except Imperial Stouts).

Ingredients: Common American base malts and yeast. Varied use of dark and roasted malts, as well as caramel-type malts. Adjuncts such as oatmeal may be present in low quantities. American hop varieties.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.050 - 1.075
FG: 1.010 - 1.022
IBUs: 35 - 75
SRM: 30 - 40+
ABV: 5 - 7%

Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Stout, North Coast Old No. 38, Avery Out of Bounds Stout, Three Floyds Black Sun Stout, Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Deschutes Obsidian Stout, Mendocino Black Hawk Stout

http://stonch.blogspot.com/2007/05/debunking-beer-myths-1-stout-is-irish.html

Ron has also found evidence, in The London and Country Brewer (1736), that stout predated porter, and not the other way around. This backs up Lewis' theory, and is contrary to the assertion on CAMRA's website that "the strongest versions of Porter were known as Stout Porter, reduced over the years to simply Stout".

which I found originally via Lew Bryson's blog a few months ago:
http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/2007/06/stout-vs-porter-us-vs-uk.html

Ive heard it slightly different. The way I heard it was porters were the working mans beer, not the best quality. As the ale in the casks got old and infections grew more apparent, newer ale was mixed in to make it less noticeable.
I do agree, but I didn't say it was a fancy beer. Many pubs would often sell "mild" (young), "stale" (aged) and blended (mix of mild and stale) porter.
Those were some interesting artices.

"(Porter) Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character."

Probably the key difference.

A third option is a Schwartzbier.

Back