Pineapple/Mandarin Orange Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
Pineapple/Mandarin Orange Wine...anyone ever try to make it? Have about 10 cans of each, left over from 2 hurricane seasons, and I want to use it up, so I can get "fresh" ones, before next hurricane season. Have 'real' orange/grapefruit in secondary now, and it taste like...don't know if there is a taste that can describe it, so I'll stick with -awful. Any tips?

I have heard that pineapple wine takes a year to age. Let time do it's thing and try again in a few months. You probably will need to back sweeten with juice.

Yea I heard the same thing. Fermented pineapple tastes like rocket fule lased with acid. But after a year or two of aging it calms down and is very deliteful. Your Orange/grapefruit wine in secondary I am sure can be saved. Probably need to back sweeten to a gravity of about 1.015 to bring back the fruity tastes.

Thanks, to the both of you. I have made 10 gallons of pineapple wine that was very successful. BUT, I racked it every week, faithfully, as it does not sit well on the lees. Maybe that is where the acid taste comes from? It was a young wine, I bottled it after 6 weeks. It was really mild and quite good for "prison brew". I have 5 gallons that I just racked today, and it is not quites as good because I let is sit for a few weeks, on the lees, and I used Premier Cuvee. The other I just used champange yeast. I am not schooled on yeast so I thought the 'bigger the better'. Turns out, the Premier Cuvee just keeps throwing lees. Had the husband taste test the orange grapefruit, and it really is funky, but it warmed his gut?!? Back to the deep dark depths it goes, with the strawberry mead that taste like jet fuel, for a few months. Hopefully, the pineapple mandarin will work out, I have only used dole pineapple juice for the previous wine, never canned fruit. Thanks again!!!

I did a pineapple wine that was very good. I have the recipe in my folder. I know i used canned juice and back sweetened. Fresh pineapple loses its good true flavor in a few days from picking

Uh oh. Now I have a craving to make pineapple wine. I may have to buy a bigger house just for more closets... :drunk:

Uh oh. Now I have a craving to make pineapple wine. I may have to buy a bigger house just for more closets... :drunk:

Just build a wine cellar!!! I made a deal with the husband...I build you a carport, I get the back part of his porch for the wine cellar!!! As it is, the 'interim' wine cellar is in the laundry room!!! :)

Heh. We live near Houston. Dig down 10 feet and you find the water table. Though it wold serve to keep the wine chilled....

Heh. We live near Houston. Dig down 10 feet and you find the water table. Though it wold serve to keep the wine chilled....[/QUOTE

We live in Southern MS. same here, but I have a concrete pad on the north side of my house that I am going to insulate the crap out of, and as long as I can keep it @ 70 degrees, I should be OK. I try and have my wine timed so that when one five gallon bucket is bottled, we drink it. Then I start another one...usually the same day I bottle it. There is a whole lot of buckets in the laundry room right now!!! :cross:

EMPTY BUCKETS?????? Isn't there a law against that on here??? :)

Spring, I have it on pretty good authority, that your a good wine maker with excellent knowledge on the subject. I got side tracked yesterday, trapping my nemesis (nemesi?) and I pitched my yeast in a BUCKET of white grape/hibiscus/passionflower primary, forgeting that the whipe grape juice had (sp) metabisulfate in it. I didn't really pay attention to the fact that my starter wasn't really 'starting' and tossed it in. Now that it has sat a day, it isn't doing anything...do I have to re-pitch the yeast because I didn't let it sit for 24 hours, beforehand? Thanks, Annie

Let it go, just wait. When I pitched my cider I thought I blew it because I pitched it twelve hours if that after campden. It didnt start for 36 hours, wait it out.

Back