Please help. Fermentation freezer quit working.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
Just finished a brew, threw it in the converted freezer with Ranco control. Set it to 50F to get the brew down to pitching temp. It brought it down to 78F and then just qiut. Not running. It's been warm and I need to have temp control. Can I run my Ranco with my kegerator and use that to ferment in the meantime? Any ideas on what went wrong? Thanks for any ideas.

The Ranco will run anything that doesn't exceed it's current handling ability, and folks run some pretty big keezers on them. So if you want to hook your kegerator up to it, that'll work.

As for the freezer, did you bypass the Ranco just to make sure it isn't the problem?

Cheers!

Most likely it is just the overload on freezer
Does that mean by miracle it will work again just fine? Seems freezers run for years. This is a 2001. Used the last three years as a fermentation temp control with a Ranco controller. So not used that much. I'm hoping for an easy fix/part replacement. Or I'll be looking on Craigslist. Thanks.

What type of freezer? Is it frost free? How long did you leave it plugged in before figuring it was dead? My upright freezer has an auto defrost cycle that runs for approx 30 mins every now and again ... the first time it happened, I thought it died. Also, have you checked and cleaned any coils?

I believe it is frost free. I'll check when I get home. It was plugged in for about 1.5 hours or so when it quit. Could it go through it's frost free cycle only being plugged in that long? There was a small amount of frost on the inside walls. And by cleaning the coils, do you mean taking the side cover off and cleaning the dust off the inside around the compressor? Thanks.

And by cleaning the coils, do you mean taking the side cover off and cleaning the dust off the inside around the compressor? Thanks.

Coils on the outside, if any. Compressor too. A buddy of mine had an ice maker that wasn't freezing; he cleaned the dust/lint off the coils, problem solved.

Did you try the freezer today?

Back