English bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikeus, check out this link to Jamil's recipes. He has one there plus you can download his show which discusses the style. He makes very good beer and has earned a lot of respect. You should not go wrong. Bitters are in my near future and this is where I would start as far as recipes and instruction.
Link ......>http://www.beerdujour.com/JamilsBrewingNetworkRecipes.htm
Hope it helps.

Blender said:
Mikeus, check out this link to Jamil's recipes. He has one there plus you can download his show which discusses the style. He makes very good beer and has earned a lot of respect. You should not go wrong. Bitters are in my near future and this is where I would start as far as recipes and instruction.
Link ......>http://www.beerdujour.com/JamilsBrewingNetworkRecipes.htm
Hope it helps.

Jamil's new article in the latest BYO is on this very topic and includes his ordinary bitter recipe.

brewt00l said:
Jamil's new article in the latest BYO is on this very topic and includes his ordinary bitter recipe.

Yeah this is actually the article that got me interested in bitters. I didn't know he had a website. Thanks!

Mikeus said:
Yeah this is actually the article that got me interested in bitters. I didn't know he had a website. Thanks!

LOL...me too! I have a bunch of the pod casts sitting on my iPod waiting for a chance to listen and have been kicking around a ESB or ordinary bitter for my next batch. That article pushed me over the edge :)

I recently did a Fuller's clone that turned out well:

Steeping grains:

12oz 55L Crystal Malt
2oz British Amber Malt
2oz Aromatic Malt

6lbs Extra Light DME

Hop additions:

1.25oz UK Challenger for 60 min
1/2oz UK Challenger for 45 min
1/2oz Target for 10min
1oz EK Goldings for 1min
1/2 EK Goldings dryhopped