Corking and Capping method???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburkh

Reaction score
I'm preparing to bottle a barley wine. I plan on laying it down for a while and was toying with the idea of storing in champagne bottles and corks. I was turned off by this idea once I saw the price of the necessary equipment for corking champagne bottles ($150 floor model!) While looking through these bottling equipment sites I came across a refference to a method of "corking and capping beer" it said "typically used for long term ales such a s barley wine" I am very interested in alternative bottling methods and am curious if anyone out there has any knowledge of this method of "corking and Capping" or other corking methods that don't require $150 equipment. by the way the capper I use is a red barron 2 lever style.

a double lever hand corker is all you should need - at least for regular wine bottles.
they are only 16.00 in canada.
check the site you got your red baron capper from - under wine corkers
for champagne bottles you could buy the plastic corks and wire cages and i don't think you need a corker for them

Thanks for the suggestion Pimp Juice. My LHBS does indeed rent out their corker.

Back