Bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
I guess I had a couple of weak bottles, because for the first time in years, I had two explode from two separate batches in the last 24 hours. One was from a Saison I just bottled a week ago, and the other was from a batch brewed back in June. Strange. Temps in the house are the same as always.
A moment of silence for the fallen brews.

I think you had it at "saison". I just bottled my first saison about two or three months ago. The beer finished at 1.006 (or at least I thought it was finished...) I primed in order to reach about 3.5 vol CO2 in belgian corked bottles. I hadn't had one in about a month and pulled one out the other day. They have been stored at room temp and I chilled for a day in my regular fridge. I popped the top and about 4 secs later had a volcano on my hands. In regular bottles there's no way they wouldn't have popped. I think that strain is just finicky sometimes.

I think you had it at "saison". I just bottled my first saison about two or three months ago. The beer finished at 1.006 (or at least I thought it was finished...) I primed in order to reach about 3.5 vol CO2 in belgian corked bottles. I hadn't had one in about a month and pulled one out the other day. They have been stored at room temp and I chilled for a day in my regular fridge. I popped the top and about 4 secs later had a volcano on my hands. In regular bottles there's no way they wouldn't have popped. I think that strain is just finicky sometimes.

The batch from June was an APA. That particular 12 oz. bottle seemed really thin and fragile - but of course, it was broken already.
The Saison was in a Paulaner bottle, which are pretty sturdy, and only being in the bottle just over a week, was surprising. I have sampled one or two from that batch, and they are not that carbonated.
I have noticed that the carbonation levels seem to vary from one bottle to another in the same batch.

Back