Will this be a dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAndrew

Reaction score
I tried to copy BigKahuna's Bananas on the Beach recipe but my LHBS didn't have American Crystal 120 or WYeast 3068. They recommended CaraAroma as a sub for the American Crystal and WLP 300 instead of 3068.

So here is my total ingredient list

1 lb CaraAroma
.25 lb Special B
6.4 lbs Liquid Wheat Extract
1 lb Candi Sugar Dark
2 oz Fuggles

WLP300

I know that there are a lot of variations of dunkelweizen but I'm just not sure if it is what I am making with these ingredients...I'm not too familiar with dunkelweizen (only drank it a few times but I really liked it and BK's recipe sounded amazing).

Yes, that would be a Dunkelweizen.

• WLP300 is a perfect and very very close match to 3068.
  • CaraAroma is a terrible replacement for C120, but I think in this case it will work fairly well, as a bit of melanoidin taste is welcomed in hefeweizens.
  • Never heard of candi sugar in a hefeweizen, and that much may dry the beer out a bit. If it is for alcohol, I would sub more wheat extract and some chocolate malt.
  • Fuggles is a weird choice, but it won't matter enough for me to recommend a change.

Yes, that would be a Dunkelweizen.

• WLP300 is a perfect and very very close match to 3068.
  • CaraAroma is a terrible replacement for C120, but I think in this case it will work fairly well, as a bit of melanoidin taste is welcomed in hefeweizens.
  • Never heard of candi sugar in a hefeweizen, and that much may dry the beer out a bit. If it is for alcohol, I would sub more wheat extract and some chocolate malt.
  • Fuggles is a weird choice, but it won't matter enough for me to recommend a change.

Thanks. As a potential sub for the candi sugar, how much more wheat extract and chocolate malt would be sufficient?

For future reference, what hops would you recommend?

Thanks. As a potential sub for the candi sugar, how much more wheat extract and chocolate malt would be sufficient?

For future reference, what hops would you recommend?

Actually Carafa II would be even better than chocolate, go with .125lb of either. 1lb of Wheat Extract combined with this would be a good replacement for 1lb sugar.

Tettnang or Halletauer are generally the hops used.

Back