Too much cinnamon, should I toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
I decided to experiment with cider by adding vanilla extract and cinnamon (I am a complete newbie, this will soon become apparent) and I did a one gallon batch of EdWort's apfelwine with 2 tbsp of vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of ground cinnamon. The pre-fermentation mix tasted amaaazing.

Well, one month later I am bottling, and I do a little taste. It is horrendous. All I can taste is this intense cinnamon bitterness which scratches the back of my throat and makes me want to spit it out. I'm sure this has everything to do with the 2 tbsp of ground cinnamon which was probably over-the-top too much.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Should I sit on it for a few months or is it totally ruined? What are the odds that the skull-crushing cinnamon intensity will mellow out enough to be drinkable?

next time use cracked cinnamon sticks. i would let the batch sit for several months before making the decision on wether or not to toss it. just like beer cider improves with time and this one might just turn out ok.

i would definitely not dump. i've never made cider/apfelwine, but i just brewed a christmas ale and had the opposite happen

OG reading was pure cinnamon (used 1tbsp), but i just transferred to secondary after 28 days in the primary and there's no cinnamon anymore....wish i used more....

Thanks guys. I went ahead and bottled it (only 9 12 ozers out of my gallon so it's not like I wasted all that much time). I'll stick 'em in a dark corner and forget about them for a while.

If it's only a month old, it's way too soon to judge the taste. I've got a month-old batch that has nothing but juice & yeast in it, and right now it tastes pretty rough. I agree with Revvy, aging will smooth out the overall flavor as well as the cinnamon. Meantime I'd start another batch without any spices. Check things again in a few months and blend the two as (if) needed.

as a general rule of thumb, do not used ground spices..they are just to difficult to control flavor wise....whole spices and sticks are the way to go, and are easier to use.

Dan

Back