How did I over-shoot OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time this has ever happened to me. OG for my Blue Balls Wit was supposed to be 1.038, but turned out to be 1.05. How with this affect the final product? Higher ABV? Any adverse effects (I don't necesasrily consider higher ABV a bad thing :cross:. Thanks guys.

extract or all grain? If extract, you either came up short on the volume, or didnt stir. AG, you got great efficiency.

Extract, you have to mix more, or your volume was off
All grain, you got great eff., or again, your volumes were off

Extract, you have to mix more, or your volume was off
All grain, you got great eff., or again, your volumes were off

Sorry, should have been more detailed. All grain. 9lbs grain/wheat bill. Mashed in 3 gallons of 154 degree water for 60 minutes. Sparged in 3.5 gallons of 170 degree water for 10 mintues. I use Deathbrewers stovetop all grain method.

Mostly interested in what this means for my final product. Higher ABV? Anything else?

More sugar, higher ABV and a higher FG

And lower IBU since he had a higher than expected wort gravity during the boil.
It'll still be good probably, 1.050 isn't excessively high for a wit and IBU is not too important for wits.

Forgot to mention also that this was a grain order from brewmasters warehouse....

To alleviate this issue future, do I just add water to the carboy until the OG comes down to where it is supposed to be?

Why not just order less grain?

Back