Outdoor Brewing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnxusr

Reaction score
Something just popped into my head while doing my (inside) brew tonight. This is a question for those of you who brew outdoors and have a heightened sense of taste for your brew...

Can you detect any difference in the same recipe brewed outside in the spring from that in any other month? I'm just wondering if the pollen in the air gives any noticeable flavor to the brew or not. I know it's not exposed for long, and probably doesn't get much pollen in the wort, just wondering. I know in my area, a few hours after I wash my truck in the spring, it's covered in a noticeable dusting of pollen.

I can't say that I am a connoisseur by any means, but I brew outside and haven't tasted any real difference from when I was brewing indoors.

I don't know if it's related, but a few weeks ago I brewed my first outdoor batch, and it's by far the finest beer I've ever brewed.

More likely due to the full boil and an excellent recipe, I guess.

Most people improve the quality of their beer as they learn.
Most people also increase batch size, complexity (mass of equipment) and/or the volume of the boil as they learn as well.

I'd say that most people will see an improvement when they move outside because they're changing other things as well. It's hard to boil 6.5 gallons on the stovetop, so they buy a $35 turkey fryer and go outside and voila, better beer is the result. Of course, the improvement isn't due to being outside, they're just outside because that's where they can use a propane burner for an hour.

I think most people will say that outside is better.

That said, I have used my propane burner in the basement when it was raining (I don't have a garage or suitably-sized porch). If you get good ventillation and keep the CO detector and a fire extinguisher handy just in case, there's no danger. So I'd say I have reasonable consistency in terms of equipment and technique regardless of location.

I can see no significant difference between brewing outside and inside, regardless of season.

My wife sneezes a lot more when we're brewing outside in the spring, though.

I have always wondered about contamination while brewing outside. Do people cover up the brewpot while chilling to avoid any debris from ending up in the beer?

Eric

I put sanitized aluminum foil over the kettle once it gets down below 140F.

I have a bunch of walnut trees where I brew, and I'm just waiting for a walnut to plop into the kettle one of these days. They hit me occasionally, but I haven't had one get into the kettle yet.

Back