Adding Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
So I really don't want to go overboard with my hydro samples so I am wondering if there is a general rule/guidline as to how many days into fermentation Fermaid should be added. I've heard to add nutrient when a third of the sugars have been fermented...I know that all fermentations are differnt, but how long have you more experienced people waited to add?

I put my mead together Saturday afternoon and have had good steady airlock activity since Sunday. Any advice would be appreciated!

Every fermentation is different, and you can have the first third of the sugars consumed in as little as 36hours, or as long as two weeks - and those are the "healthy" fermentations. I'm afraid that there is no substitute for regular monitoring (I do it every 12 hrs until I reach the 1/2 sugar break). If you are working with a small batch, is it possible for you to keep your hydrometer in the batch continuously? A quick spin to dislodge bubbles isn't too intrusive, as long as your hands/gloves are cleaned and sanitized.

I've also floated the hydrometer in the batch and left it. Maybe I'm weird but I also find this to be one of the most rewarding parts of the brewing process. I scale almost all of my batches up from 5 gallons to 6.5 or 16 gallons to rack down to my 14.5gal carboy, so that I can account for losses to hydro samples and racking. For me this is one of the best parts, regularly taking samples, take notes, then poor it to a glass. Swirl it and give it a smell and taste. Take notes on that too. Note the differences that this yeast has on that recipie or honey as it ferments. What characteristics come through at different points in the fermentation process.

Also when you start with a larger size in fermentation like a 6.5, you can rack to a 5 gal carboy or barrel, which will leave you extra to bottle seperately. You can later use that bottle to top off a carboy rack or add to a cask as the 'Angels Share'.

In a beer thread, it came up that for new brewers it was costomary to add a shot of bourbon to a glass of the wort and drink as it was brewed. I think that in the future I might do that with my fresh musts and a shot of the Goose before pitching yeast.

Now I have to look that up to see who did that to give them credit. Here it is!

Back