No Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammondbeck

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts with similar problems, but hope to find some solutions specific to my situation.

My friend and I brewed a high ABV brew (around 9%) which conditioned for 6 weeks. We got halfway through bottling when we realized we'd forgotten to prime the brew (we're new at this, obviously). We emptied everything out, primed the batch, then re-bottled.

The bottles sat in my closet, which I'm guessing is usually about 68-69 degrees. I wanted to check on the progress at 2 weeks (not long enough, perhaps?), so I cracked two open and got nothing. There is no carbonation at all.

From what I can tell, the high alcohol combined with lower-than-ideal temp could have caused the yeast to go inactive.

Does this seem accurate? Any suggestions? Should I just agitate and warm up the bottles a few degrees for a week? Should I empty the bottles and pitch new yeast?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. This beer tastes really good, I'd hate for it to be ruined!

Sorry, we used 2/3 of a cup for a 5 gal batch. We added it to the bucket then added the brew to the bucket.

We haven't had any explosions, so I'm hoping it was well mixed.

Back