How Long is too Long in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCS

Reaction score
So, here is the deal. I made a Scotch Wee Heavy Ale (AG). It was in the primary for about 1 week and then I transferred it to the secondary, my plan was to let it go for about 1 week and then bottle it (I haven't moved to kegs yet). As sometimes happens life got in the way and now it's been the secondary for about 4 weeks. I have finally gotten some time on my hands and am planning on bottle tomorrow or Tuesday. So the question is this, should I continue to bottle or scrap the whole thing? I've never been in this situation before, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

a wee heavy should be sitting for much longer than a week. i brewed one about three weeks ago and moved it to secondary about a week ago, but don't have any intention on bottling it til mid to late january.

First off, 1 week in primary seems to short. Yes, it's probably finished fermenting, but the yeast are still working, and you removed the beer from the yeast.

Next; are you secondarying in glass or plastic (based on what I've read, you can consider better bottles similar to glass). If it's in glass (or BB), you can leave it as long as you like provided you keep the airlock full; a year if you like. I had one I left for 4 months because I just didn't get around to bottle. Tasted great. If using plastic, the concern is for oxygen permeating the plastic and slowly deteriorating the beer, even then, a couple of months should not be a problem.

there are guys here that have left the brew in the primary for SEVERAL months. no worries on that oxygen permeating myth anymore. i don't even use my carboy anymore and i just started brewing. google any of your questions and hit the links that are discussed here on this forum. you will be amazed at how may rules have been tested and broken in the last 4 -5 years. i know i am.

I brewed my pumpkin ales for Thanksgiving on October 2nd. Two weeks in the primary and the rest in the secondary. Matter of fact, I don't think you can let it in the secondary too long, period.

Sounds like since I am using Glass for my secondary, I don't have much to worry about. Thanks for all the help...Have a great Christmas everyone!!!

Back