Temperature control for 30g conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a while since I posted, but I just moved into a new house and the new brewery is finally getting the attention it deserves. :rockin:

I made this thread a while back: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/30g-plastic-conical-build-153918/

Cliffs Notes:
- Using 30g plastic conicals and am looking for some ideas on how to control temps. They will likely be in my garage, so I might need some kind of heating solution for the winter as well.

I'd say your two options are a heat controlled room build, or a water jacket.

Easiest: Room build. Window AC unit and small heater. Two stage temp controller.

Smallest footprint: Water jacket. Wrap 3/8" soft copper coils around the outside, then insulate well. Constantly circulate heated or cooled water through the coils with a small pump, and temp control the circulating water via an aquarium heater or water cooler, you should be able to hit your desired temp in the chamber.

PS: best avatar ever....

Not to be off topic but if you have a basement that stays in the low 60's year round is temp control necessary? Or does 15 + gallons of fermenting wort raise it's temp that cooler temps are needed?

I build a box big enough for my fermenter and I have a two stage temp controller (Love). I use a 5000 BTU AC unite to cool and a small space heater. Works great.

I used OSB and 2x material. I framed the exterior of the OSB sheet once it was cut to size with the 2x's then I filled in the field with EPS foam. I then trimmed the edges with 3" wide OBS which held the foam in place. Then I screwed the sides together to form the box. I also made a floor in the same way. I made a plug door that I hold in place with tabs that rotate out of the way. I foamed the corners and seams with great stuff. I've been very pleased with it. i can keep the temp within +/- 1 and normally tape the temp prob to the fermenter. I only wish I made it bigger.

Back