Grocery Store Sanitizer in a Pinch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayPowHound

Reaction score
HELP!! I've just gotten all set up, cleaned, etc. to rack my porter from carboy to keg and realized that I'm out of sanitizer!! I'd rather not put everything away and wait until tomorrow and I probably won't have a chance to get to the LHBS today, so what's the best option from the grocery store? Should I use bleach and vinegar and hope I don't kill myself? Rubbing alcohol? Something else?? What to do, what to do??

Stay home and boil a pot of water. Pour into keg, let it sit - cover and roll the keg around for a few minutes.

Stay home and boil a pot of water. Pour into keg, let it sit - cover and roll the keg around for a few minutes.

Really? I thought it would only sanitize if it was actually boiling... once I get it into the keg it will be a couple degrees cooler, will that work??

As for the bleach, should I mix it with vinegar and try to avoid the fumes or just stick with straight bleach? What solution would you use for 5gal water??

Hot Water
Hot-water sanitizing -- through immersion (small parts, knives, etc.), spray (dishwashers), or circulating systems -- is commonly used. The time required is determined by the temperature of the water. Typical regulatory requirements (Food Code 1995) for use of hot water in dishwashing and utensil sanitizing applications specify: immersion for at least 30 sec. at 77°C (170°F) for manual operations; a final rinse temperature of 74°C (165°F) in single tank, single temperature machines and 82°C (180°F) for other machines. Many state regulations require a utensil surface temperature of 71°C (160°F) as measured by an irreversibly registering temperature indicator in ware washing machines. Recommendations and requirements for hot-water sanitizing in food processing may vary. The Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance specifies a minimum of 77°C (170°F) for 5 min. Other recommendations for processing operations are: 85°C (185°F) for 15 min., or 80°C (176°F) for 20 min. The primary advantages of hot-water sanitization are: relatively inexpensive, easy to apply and readily available, generally effective over a broad range of microorganisms, relatively non-corrosive, and penetrates into cracks and crevices. Hot-water sanitization is a slow process which requires come-up and cool-down time; can have high energy costs; and has certain safety concerns for employees. The process also has the disadvantages of forming or contributing to film formations, and shortening the life of certain equipment or parts thereof (gaskets, etc.).

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/fses/fecs_wcq3.htm

Also, remember that the beer now has alcohol in it, so you are a lot less likely to get an infection at this point. Not saying don't be careful, but don't get too excited.

RDWHAHB!!!

Just go with straight bleach, a safe bleach sanitizer solution is 50 to 100 ppm (parts per million). Anything less will not sanitize sufficiently. A solution too concentrated may cause illness and will eventually pit and corrode your stainless steel equipment.

How to Make a Sanitizer Solution With Bleach | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2190554_make-sanitizer-solution-bleach.html#ixzz10fHVQYoI

Add full strength chlorine bleach to the water. A general rule is 1 capful of bleach per 1 gallon of water.

That is a basic link but that was my rule of thumb when i worked in restaurants for cleaning and sanitizing. Make sure to rinse well.

I just don't see the need in mixing acids together when just using one will work just fine. my $ .02

Sure, using one will work fine, but using both increases its effectiveness. Why use Star San when just bleach will work fine? Because it works better. No-rinse also reduces the likelihood of infection from tapwater and eliminates the need for a large stock of pre-boiled water.

Mixing bleach with an acid such as vinegar is risky since it can produce chlorine gas. Simple bleach works just fine at a concentration of one tablespoon per gallon of water. Apply for 20 minutes and be sure to rinse well with hot water after using.

Tom

Back