Ale yeast recommendation requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbartlett

Reaction score
What is a good ale yeast to use that works best at the low end of the ale temperature range?

My fermenter is located in the basement where is stays a fairly consistent 62-63F. I have been using a heating pad that boosts the temp a couple of degrees but I would rather keep things simple (K.I.S.S.), and reduce my energy usage as well.

I'm fermenting all of my ales at 60-63 degrees (room temperature slightly lower) and it's working out fine.

Right now, I have S05 bubbling along at 63 degrees, and Denny's Favorite 1450 at 61 degrees. I really like Nottingham at 59 degrees. I rarely ferment any ales above 65 degrees any more. Partly because I love the "clean" taste, and partly because it's just easier with my cold house.

Remember, I'm talking about the temperature of the fermenting beer not the room temperature. The room temperature is often a couple degrees cooler, until the end of fermentation.

The Denny's Favorite has had problems finishing at that cool temperature, according to some other brewers. I did bring it up to 63 degrees yesterday, to see if it would finish up so I could keg it today.

At that temp I've used: 1007, Denny's fav 50, 1056, Notty, us-05, pacman, all with good success.

1007 is a german ale yeast so you can use it brewing an alt

Denny's leaves a bit more malt character

and use Notty, us-05 and 1056 pretty much interchangeably, they're all good clean yeasts

Rogue usually uses Pacman at 60 F.

I had some problems with Dennys Fave 50 at low temps but I was just having general sluggishness problems with it so I can't say for sure if it was the temp.

The Denny's Favorite has had problems finishing at that cool temperature, according to some other brewers. I did bring it up to 63 degrees yesterday, to see if it would finish up so I could keg it today.

FWIW, that's the temp range I always use for that yeast. And pretty much any ale yeast.

I am with Yooper. Since I have moved back to MI I have fermented everything right around 60-61 degrees. I have only been using Nottingham, but I really like the results.

My whole house is pretty cool right now, so its just the easiest thing to do.

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. This stuff loves it cool, down to 55. It comes out super clean at 60-62, I just love the character of this yeast, I am preparing to do a Pale Ale with it.

I've used Notty at 58*F with great success. I also hear that Kolsch yeast will work fine, though it will take a little longer to ferment and drop some sulfur farts.

Back