cleaning lines prior to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
So i just got a new keg kit, should i clean the lines before i use them first or really am i just being peranoid?

I would run at least some hot water through there. I mean they should be good to go, but it is nice to get any particulates out and make sure everything is clean.

Whenever I hook up a new keg, I leave a little sanitizer in it and push it out with CO2 before I fill. This does two things, it makes sure the poppet, QD and line are clean and sanitary, and it fills the keg with CO2 so you don't have to worry about oxidation as much.

I always envision these hoses purchased from HBS as sitting in a room full of lacto bacteria (from all the grain and grain crushing that goes on). So I always give the hoses a full PBW/Rinse/StarSan cycle before use (using kegs to push the liquids through). Maybe overkill but imo...a little overkill in the sanitation department isn't so bad.

Of course you want to clean/sanitize your lines when new. When you buy new dishes, silverware, glasses etc. you clean them don't you? Five minutes of work will pay alot in dividends.....

Back