The explaining of the beer names thread.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm creating this thread to get some info about some cool names I've been seeing for your beers....

This first inquiry goes out to DeRoux's Broux....Thunderhead Pale Ale....that's pretty cool! I'm a weatherman (don't laugh) so it stuck out at me. Is thier a story behind it? Were you rushing to get the beer done on your outside boiler before a nasty thunderstorm was bearing down on you? :D

Now Sam75....Big American IPA...Is that the name of it or the style of it?
If it's the name, I hope I wasn't part of idea where you got it from! After seeing that video from the conference, I too, am a pretty "Big American"!!!
We did brew that around Memorial Day as well, didn't we?

Just curious guys....

ORRELSE said:
Now Sam75....Big American IPA...Is that the name of it or the style of it?
If it's the name, I hope I wasn't part of idea where you got it from! After seeing that video from the conference, I too, am a pretty "Big American"!!!
We did brew that around Memorial Day as well, didn't we?

Just curious guys....

Memorial Day? We brewed that stuff in late March! Hell, we drank about a gallon of here at my cookout on Memorial Day weekend. Maybe I should rename it "Mind Eraser". :D

I just thought it was a generic name for what I wanted to brew: SOmething big (strong), American (using American hops), IPA. Really I don't think it was malty enough to consider an IPA....more like a really hoppy APA.

Whateva. :D

A big part of the fun for me is naming the brew batch and making the labels. I bottle in 16 oz swing-tops, expensive, but perfect for labels. My last few were:

"Bug-Eye Brew Ale" (with a picture of my Shi-tzu with his buggy eyes)
"Early Spring Amber Ale"
"Late Spring Extra" (dark ale with a double dose of Willamette hops - fresh leaves)
"Cracked Rib Pharmacist Ale" (my neighbor helped me brew, he is a pharmacist and had just cracked two ribs)
"Open House Ale" (my daughter's open house - it will all be gone over the 4th weekend when her open house includes beer drinking guests)

My fermenter currently has 5-gallons of a great tasting HefeWeizen, but I haven't picked a name yet. I thought "El Hefe" (the chief) with a picture of a South American dictator, but my wife nixed that one - not German enough.

I'd love to see some labels for anyone else who enjoys this part of the hobby.

Back