Holy Exploding yeast bottle!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
today i was making some beer and i decided to use up that yeast from a yeast cake i had saved about a month or so ago , I saved the cake in 3 beer bottles , caped them and stuck them in the fridge.

today i let one warm to room temp and went to pitch it into my beer.
when i tried to open it all i heard was " THU-WOMP! before i could think to close my eyes there was yeast in both eyes plugging them and holding them half open ... i tried to look around but all i could see was a tan - brown hue on everything like dingy beer goggles ... my eyes started to feal like they had gotten mud thrown in them so i wiped my face off and staggered away from my beer as to try not to let anything fall of me into the bucket...
the entire contents of a 12oz bottle blew up right into my face all down my shirt - pants even on my shues..
i carefully walked back over to dump the remaining contents from the now near empty bottle into the beer ... nothing ... i kinda laughed feeling confused , looking around at the huge mess it just made ... then realized i had to open another one ...

i started to open the next one real slow but thought it would do the same thing so i held it upside down and held the cap with my finger and let it shoot its contents into the bucket and all over the floor and room ... holly sh"t it was a insane mess, all over the bucket , its on the ceiling , the walls the fridge , everywhere ...
i think i have a new house strain ... they will probably be living with me and in my eye sockets forever.

on the plus side ... "natural fermentation" in that room should be a breeze now.

Did you dump that yeast into your batch? Not to get any feathers ruffled, but you may have had that "yeast explosion" due to contaminants in the bottle. I would be very careful using that saved yeast and you may consider making a starter next time just to "proof" the yeast a little bit before using.

I had used it once before with good results ... i guess time will tell
and i was only a few feet from my beer with the lid off when it blew up
it smelled good and tasted fine ... maybe some bret in there? id be ok with that

when i tried to open it all i heard was " THU-WOMP! before i could think to close my eyes there was yeast in both eyes plugging them and holding them half open ...

I've never heard the recommendation of wearing safety glasses when brewing beer, but maybe I'd better buy myself a pair.

I have heard that you should never store yeast in a sealed container, even under refrigeration. Is that wrong?

You were really looking through yeast? We've had beer goggles, the cider visor - now, yeast contacts.

That's such a funny story. Thanks for sharing.

Back