West coast IPA guy tries Bell's Two Hearted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
I had a few at Ellas Pizza in DC... Maybe one of the freshest hops flavor IPA's I have had.

Among the 2 or 3 best IPA's I have had, and I had most of them.

Lucky East coast bastid's!!!! Idaho doesn't get Bells!

Lucky East coast bastid's!!!! Idaho doesn't get Bells!

Not necessarily the East Coasters who are lucky, just those that live near Northern Virginia (as that's the distributor who received the rights to distro after Chicago lost 'em).

Bell's is brewed in Michigan--you guys get Russian River out west...

i love bells, we get it here in KY, so i usually pick up a sixer now and then. seems my taste for my favorite APA or IPA are always changing, but Bells Two Hearted is always number 1 IPA to me.

You guys who have had Pliny (either of them), Green Flash, etc... How would you compare them with Two-Hearted?

Two-hearted is my favorite IPA so far. Several come close, maybe too close to call, but I really dig the flavor. The only better one I've had is Founders Harvest Ale, with fresh hops, and I don't know if it would be considered an IPA but sure seemed like it to me. The fresh flavor of the hops was amazing!

I got a bottle of Bell's Hopslam! in the fridge alongside a bottle of Stone Ruination. I'm doing a head-to-head between them soon.

Founders RyePA is good too. Had that again last night.

I'd be very interested in getting some of those west coast IPAs that I hear so much about. What are the best out there?

Two Hearted has been my favorite IPA for many years now...but I just had a Blind Pig the other night and now it has some serious competition.

just stopped by RFD and got to compare Bell's to Racer 5... It's like trying to pick a favorite child.

Too bad I had to fly to DC to try them side by side.

BTW... Idaho doesn't get BR or RR.

ah...waiting for my flight fells nice now ;)

Two Hearted has been my favorite IPA for many years now...but I just had a Blind Pig the other night and now it has some serious competition.

And Blind Pig isn't as good as a lot of others out here, but it is still a great IPA. I haven't had Two Hearted, but I look forward to seeing what it is like to see if it can stand up to anything out here.

And Blind Pig isn't as good as a lot of others out here, but it is still a great IPA. I haven't had Two Hearted, but I look forward to seeing what it is like to see if it can stand up to anything out here.
I disagree, I have had dozens of west coast IPAs and Blind Pig is the best one yet. And yes, Two Hearted was better than most of those if not all of them. It's funny when people say "I wonder if a Midwest IPA can be as good as a West Coast?" This isn't the 1800s people, we have trucks and trains that can ship hops anywhere in the country...after that it's only a matter of dumping them in the boil kettle or fermenter. Michigan and Wisconsin make beers that can rival the very best of California.

I don't see it as "can the midwest make a decent IPA", but rather more of a brewing style difference. I have seen some very different styles of porters and stouts across the country that could be attributed to the tastes of the local area.

I don't see it as "can the midwest make a decent IPA", but rather more of a brewing style difference. I have seen some very different styles of porters and stouts across the country that could be attributed to the tastes of the local area.

+1 I'd love to try some of the west coast beers. Just to see how they do it. I'm sure plenty of taste differences going on.

Back