Light vs. Extra Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I bought some extra light DME by accident for a recipe that calls for 3 lb light DME. I really don't know how different they are. Think it will be a big problem to substitute the extra light? I know it'll change the taste, I just don't have any idea how much.

Thanks,
Scott

I bought some extra light DME by accident for a recipe that calls for 3 lb light DME. I really don't know how different they are. Think it will be a big problem to substitute the extra light? I know it'll change the taste, I just don't have any idea how much.

Thanks,
Scott

It shouldn't even change the taste. The only difference in light vs. extra light is the color, I believe.

Very little difference. Your flavor and color will come from your specialty grains. I like to use extra light extract for most recipes. Don't stress it.

I don't know if this is true for DME, but "light" LME varies greatly in color and fermentability depending on brand. I think there is a chapter on that in Designing Great Beers. However, I don't know whether that information is still up to date.

I don't know if this is true for DME, but "light" LME varies greatly in color and fermentability depending on brand. I think there is a chapter on that in Designing Great Beers. However, I don't know whether that information is still up to date.

True, extracts do vary from one brand to the next. This is why it's important to match your extract to the style of beer your making. For example, if your trying to make an authentic German brew, consider using Bierkeller, but if your making an American style, something like Alexanders may be more appropriate. That being said, if your making a recipe that calls for an unspecific light DME, going with extra-light probably won't make a noticeable difference.

True, extracts do vary from one brand to the next. This is why it's important to match your extract to the style of beer your making. For example, if your trying to make an authentic German brew, consider using Bierkeller, but if your making an American style, something like Alexanders may be more appropriate. That being said, if your making a recipe that calls for an unspecific light DME, going with extra-light probably won't make a noticeable difference.

Yes, the recipe given to me was vague in that sense so I don't think I'd get it exactly right anyway. As long as it's something tasty. :) Thanks for the answers, guys, I'll get brewing.

Scott

Back