Man Vs wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't see Survivorman as begin in quite the same genre as Reality TV. Les does much more of a documentary style in his show than most reality television would bother with.

Reality TV is only partially about 'manufactured' settings, it's about the human drama. While there is sometimes a certain amount of drama in Survivorman, largely that is a by product of the events, not the point of the show.

No way, that would dehydrate you very rapidly...10cc at a time.

Still, I suppose there is something to be said for dying happy.

Just wrong...:D

Survivorman is not reality TV. More like documentary as Kornkob states. It would be nice to have an episode where these guys just sit down and show yuo all the different ways to start a fire in the various evironments in the world. It would take a while, but it would be so interesting to watch.

Is this that show with the guy who is lost in the desert and overheating and thirsty. So he pisses on a towel, squeezes the piss into his mouth and wraps his head with it. Only seconds later you notice a road with many cars driving along?

it wouldnt be Bear if he didnt pee on something at least once and get naked at least once per show.

He also has to unnecessarily jump off something tall, build a raft, and sprint down a steep hill (with, or without the help of a pole vault)

I prefer Bear Grylls. I watch TV to be entertained, and watching Survivorman hang out in a lean-to and play his harmonakuh (probably butchered that word) is just boring. Sure I can't do most of the things Bear Grylls does. But it's pretty good TV imo.

I saw an episode of Survivorman where he had some tarp to build a shelter with, a "survival pack", and some sort of mini stove thing. Hell, he should of just brought his RV out there.

I doubt either one is in any real serious danger. It is television after all.

I've always preferred Survivorman to Man Vs Wild. (And I came to this conclusion before the whole hotel 'controversy').

Survivorman always seemed to appear to my more pragmatic nature, whereas bear always seemed to be about the dramatic stuff.

+1, I think Bear is a bit of a moron, constantly demonstrating what NOT to do, just for the dramatic impact. Survivorman is a superior show with a superior host. That's my 2 cents worth. GF.

Bear Grylls (Man vs Wild) is a deuche bag. Les Stroud (Survivorman) is cool.

Ask yourself, if I was lost in the woods, who would I rather be with? The dude who eats elephant **** for food, or the dude who can trap small mammals for food.

Seriously thought, Bear is knowledgeable about ridiculously extreme circumstances, but he takes too many chances - see the episode where he runs around on a glacier. Les is much more practical and takes less chances. I think this is because Les Stroud (Survivorman) is by himself for 7 days - no one to help him. Bear Grylls, on the other hand, is not by himself and could be airlifted to a hospital in like 30 minutes. That's why he takes stupid risks - things you normally wouldn't do if you were lost in the wild.

As far as entertainment goes, Bear is obnoxious, Les is more mellow.

I love how even a thread that died in June of '08 can get a second chance around here. People just pick right back up where the conversation left off like nothing even happened.

I love how even a thread that died in June of '08 can get a second chance around here. People just pick right back up where the conversation left off like nothing even happened.

I was thinking the same thing, and I still feel the same way. I like how the normal guy doesn't drink his pee every other episode!

No not that guy, the one with no film crew in the Canadian tundra. And even if that's fake, its still better then the pee drinker.

Les is the man. So what if he drank his distilled pee...he's doing what he can survive. Can't really have table manners when you're strugging to keep your life.

Which one is LES? Maybe I am mixed up, I am talking about the annoying accent guy who has videos put up in the beginning of this topic showing all the fake crap?

He jumped across a ravine only to piss on his shirt and wrap around his head, then suck the juices out of a snake. Same area where they show cars driving down the busy highway.

No, no, no Bear Grylls is the crazy mofo with the English accent that does retarded things before he sleeps in a motel somewhere. Les Stroud is the crazy mofo with the Canadian accent that goes out into the wilderness alone and films himself hanging out and playing harmonica.

I didn't see Les drink his pee, but I have not seen every episode yet. But yes that's the guy I actually don't mind watching! :mug:

Gotcha, we agree then! :D

Les has made a "still" to get water from urine. He digs a hole, pisses in it, places a cup in the middle, places saran wrap (or something) so that as the urine evaporates it falls back into the cup.

Ingenius!

So this is totally out of context but Survivor Man is so much better.
But here is the out of context part.
I was out with a friend the other night and we stopped at a local strip club. So we sit down, SurvivorMan is on TV(great), We each get a decent beer, the stripper was ungodly hot and was stripping to MegaDeath

I am sorry, it doesnt get any better, then Survivor Man, Beer, Strippers, and MegaDeath, ALL AT ONCE, sorry bout the off shoot.

:ban::ban::ban:
WOOT

oh and les is the man !! did you see the show where bear joined the french foreign legion with some other dudes i thought that **** was hard core, dont know if any of that was fake or not

That's "Megadeth" ;)

megadeth%20-%20arsenal%20of.jpg

We used to watch both Man Vs Wild and Survivorman, until it became apparent that Les actually takes survival seriously, whereas Bear just does stuff to show what a badass he is. SWMBO's favorite term for Bear is 'a showboating jackass' :D

My favorite is when Bear gets stung by a bee. That is hilarious.

On a slightly different note, as anybody seen Austin Stevens: SnakeMaster? That **** is awesome

Back