More beer "Economy All-Grain System"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15624/102307

I was wondering what people thought of this as a first step into AG? I am most concerned about temp control, as I can't imagine the temp stays steady in basically a bottling bucket.

Any one have any thoughts on using this or has used it themselves? How I could ensure limited temp loss? Will the temp issue be a large or small problem?

thanks,
steve

That is a waste. You can build a much better mlt out of a cooler, which will do much better on holding temperature.

For a few more bucks you can build your MLT out of a cooler and it will hold temp. Get yourself an 8 or 10 gallon cooler(preferably with a spout) and build your own. You will be proud of it and it will be much better.

Ouch! Or for a few less $$ walmart had 28 qt. cube coolers for 11 bucks...lowes sells stainless braids for 4-5...a few feet of tubing and you are all set. Install a valve if you like, or just clip the tubing to the top of the cooler.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge on that one guys. I had a feeling it wasn't worth it, but needed a little reinforcement.

I don't think I am ready to jump into AG quite yet (only 5 batches under my belt so far), but when I saw the price, I got a little excited.

$40 for that????? You can MAKE that for $3-5!!! Go down to Wal-Mart or Target and buy a plastic colander, cut the lip off and stuff it into your bottling bucket, just above the spigot. Instant cheapo mash tun.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge on that one guys. I had a feeling it wasn't worth it, but needed a little reinforcement.

I don't think I am ready to jump into AG quite yet (only 5 batches under my belt so far), but when I saw the price, I got a little excited.

When you're ready, check out this excellent pictorial by FlyGuy on making a mash tun.

Although it seems like an unlovely device, I don't understand the ferocity of the pushback on this thing.

Based on morebeer prices:

bucket with spigot and lid, $14
false bottom, $24
spargey thing $2? Couldn't find it.

Looks like it's the price of the components. I don't think there is a ripoff here, but if you already had the parts I agree you would not need to rebuy them.

Although it seems like an unlovely device, I don't understand the ferocity of the pushback on this thing.

Based on morebeer prices:

bucket with spigot and lid, $14
false bottom, $24
spargey thing $2? Couldn't find it.

Looks like it's the price of the components. I don't think there is a ripoff here, but if you already had the parts I agree you would not need to rebuy them.

It isn't the price. It's the functionality. One of the most important aspects to good all-grain brewing is the ability to hold your mash at a certain temperature for anywhere between 30-90 minutes.

A brewing bucket has absolutely no insulation to hold those temps.

Back