Governor's Graf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgonzo2k2

Really Awesome User
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back around Christmas we had some pretty bad storms which did a real number on my outside brew area, that caused me to miss a brew day I had planned while I was waiting to replace an outdoor awning. I was pretty bummed as that was my first missed brew day due to weather (the awning worked great before that storm!), so I was digging around the forums here looking for ideas on something I could whip up in my kitchen, when I happened on Brandon O's Graf recipe.

That sounded quick, easy, delicious, and like something I could do, so I took a stab at my own version of the recipe with the following conditions in mind:

1) I did not want to use malt extract, and I did want to use up grains that I already had on hand.

2) I wanted the whole thing to be able to be done in the two 8-quart pots that we already had in the kitchen, without lugging a bunch of brewing gear inside.

3) I wanted to get the whole thing over and done with while my wife was out for the afternoon so that if I did make a terrible mess in the kitchen I would have time to clean it up. That actually worked out pretty well, as by the time she got back it just looked like I had really cleaned the stove for her ;)

With just a quick trip to Costco to pickup 4 gallons of Apple Juice I was up and brewing in no time. Lots of people have tasted the results at this point, and they've all been quite pleased. It was very popular at a recent party we had, and of the 6 things I've currently got on top it is my wife's go to for her evening beverage. She actually just mentioned last night that she'd like to start brewing more ciders, so I think it got her hooked!

So here are my recipe and notes; I hope the next time you're looking for something to do you give this a shot!
-----------------------------------------
Title: Governor's Graf

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Common Cider
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (fermentor volume)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.004
ABV (standard): 8.0%
IBU (tinseth): 10.15
SRM (morey): 19.47

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (5.4%)
1 lb - Brown Sugar - (late addition) (2.7%)
1 lb - German - Munich Dark (2.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (1.3%)
0.5 lb - German - CaraRed (1.3%)
4 oz - Flaked Barley (0.7%)
32 lb (4 Gallons) - Apple Cider - (late addition) (85.9%)

HOPS:
18 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 10.15

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 gal, Single Infusion @ 156
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 0.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tbsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

NOTES:

- Start by milling grains and place inside grain bag in 1st 8-quart pot.
- Use 2nd 8-quart pot to bring 1.5 gallons of water to 168F
- Add strike water to pot with grain bag, mix thoroughly, should hit 155-156F
- Place pot in oven on warm setting and hold mash for 1 hour
- Collect first runnings while using 2nd 8-quart pot to heat 1 gallon sparge water to 185
- Batch sparge for 18 minutes, should hit 166-168
- At completion of mash you should have 1.5-1.75 gallons collected
- Bring to a boil with a little Fermcap S
- Once boiling add hops and set timer for 30 minutes
- Add Irish Moss at 15 minutes
- Post boil gravity should have a SG of about 1.100
- Once complete use ice bath to cool down to about 70F
- Meanwhile re-hydrate your yeast using your favorite nutrient and chosen method
- Combine cooled wort with apple juice in fermenter and shake really well to aerate/mix
- Pitch yeast and ferment around 65F for 2 weeks
- Cold crash for 2 days at 33F, fining with gelatin when it drops below 50F if desired
- Carb to ~2.4 volumes (I kegged mine) and enjoy!

Back