Plasic bucket as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etuin

Reaction score
I am brewing my third batch of beer, AHS Double Chocolate Stout. it has been in the primary bucket for a week. i need to know if i should keep it in the primary for another week then bottle or put in a plastic bucket and secondary ferment there. i have read nevative comments about using plastic buckets as a secondary. thanks

I like to secondary into a plastic bottling bucket. For some beers it is not necassaryto secondary at all, but I like to anyway. For one, getting the beer off of the yeast cake makes bottling day easier. For two, sometimes I pitch my next beer over the yeast cake on similar beers. For three, it frees up the primary for the next beer and I only have three.

After fermentation is complete. I usually leave it finishing and clearing in the bottling bucket for an additional week and then bottle. It has to be siphoned into the bottling bucket anyway. Leaving it clear for a week in there saves me a step.

If you were going to do long-term conditioning, a plastic fermenting bucket is definitely not ideal. However a new trend is longer primary and no secondary at all. You could stay in primary for another couple weeks and then go directly to bottles and you'd be perfectly safe.

I've never had any problems with using plastic buckets for long (2-4 months) periods. Now, I just leave each batch in the bucket for 3-8 weeks (ferment + clearing) and keg.

do NOT move it to secondary until it is done fermenting. 1 week primary is just a suggestion...the beer needs to be DONE fermenting before it goes to secondary.

Like david suggests, you'd probably be better off just doing a long primary, and then bottling, if you don't have a 5gallon carboy to rack to.

Back