Chimay white yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chwayock

Reaction score
Ones anyone know if chimay uses a different strain of yeast to bottle vs their fermentation strain??

I ask the same question some time ago and the answer was no. Having all that yeast around it doesn´t make sense to have another strain for bottling. I don´t know if you are looking to harvest chimay yeast from bottles but if you are go ahead a lot of peole have done it with good results, just get the premier-red (it´s the lowest abv of their brews)

Thanks! I have been stepping up from a white and it's doing great. Just made a 2 liter starter for my Belgian strong this weekend.

FYI the Chimay strain is easily available WLP500 and /or wyeast 1214 are the Chimay yeast. Great yeast I used it just recently in a Belgian blond. Yum!

maida7 said:
FYI the Chimay strain is easily available WLP500 and /or wyeast 1214 are the Chimay yeast. Great yeast I used it just recently in a Belgian blond. Yum!

It is a great strain, but its slow to start. IMO its worth it

TimTrone said:
It is a great strain, but its slow to start. IMO its worth it

Thank you very much. I was getting nervous as I am about 40 hours in and real airlock activity. I'm hoping it's just the slow start. I just hope I didn't drastically under pitch or treat the yeast too hard.

chwayock said:
Thank you very much. I was getting nervous as I am about 40 hours in and real airlock activity. I'm hoping it's just the slow start. I just hope I didn't drastically under pitch or treat the yeast too hard.

No airlock activity after 48 hrs.

chwayock said:
No airlock activity after 48 hrs.

Still normal. Its super slow to start, but when it gets going it goes nuts. It took my last BDS from 1.12 to 1.011 in about 1 week.

TimTrone said:
Still normal. Its super slow to start, but when it gets going it goes nuts. It took my last BDS from 1.12 to 1.011 in about 1 week.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease

TimTrone said:

How long before you were bubbling??

I've never had a long lag time with this yeast. But I always pitch a big active starter. No chilling and decanting. I pitch the starter at high krausen and at fermentation temps.

maida7 said:
I've never had a long lag time with this yeast. But I always pitch a big active starter. No chilling and decanting. I pitch the starter at high krausen and at fermentation temps.

That's why. I decant almost every starter.

I wouldn't even start to worry until you get to the 72 hour mark. What temp do you have it at?

TimTrone said:
That's why. I decant almost every starter.

I wouldn't even start to worry until you get to the 72 hour mark. What temp do you have it at?

It's cooking now. 75

chwayock said:
It's cooking now. 75

Slowly lower that to 68-70 for 2 days or so, and then let it warm up on its own. 75 is a little warm to start with that yeast. IMO the best flavor come from starting at 68 and ending at 78.

Back