how long till I can look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes_brew

Reaction score
newbie question but I looked in the FAQ and no luck. I brewed on friday. the burps in the airlock have settled to maybe 1 every 2min. I forgot to take a OG, and am dieing to look and see how it is doing.

Q: how long after bottling do I need to wait and will it disturb the brew?

brew: kit; brown ale "most popular"

thanks in advance!:tank:

take a look, take a reading, take a taste, and take care that everything comes in contact is sanitized and it is exposed for a limited amount of time. if you post the recipe you can figure out what your OG should have been, too :)

Well, in all honesty, you can probably look at any point in time as long as you are careful, and actually the closer to brewday you look probably the better, as the beer will be covered with a layer of CO2. However, having said that, dont bother. The hardest part of this hobby is patience. Your beer is not going to be done any sooner, and it wont taste any better if you look. Just give it it's time and dont look until it is time to take a hydro reading.

As for bottles. A month is typically the right answer for how long, although it can depend on style. However, considering this is your first brew, I am sure you will be "testing" after a week. Just try not to test too much.

Confused......

If you've bottled then leave it 2 - 3 weeks before testing. 1 -2 months before drinking.

If it's in a pail you can look when ever you want.

If it's bubbling then it's not ready to bottle. You probably want to leave it around two week from brewing before you touch it.

Back