Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beau_cephus

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer tonight, purged the oxygen from the keg, and when I went to increase the pressure, I couldn't get the low pressure gauge above 10psi with the adjusting screw all the way rotated to the clockwise position. The high pressure gauge is reading 60psi. Do I have a bad gauge on my regulator?

I went ahead and put the keg in the fridge at 10psi to cool until I can figure out whats going on.

Dont really have an answer for you, could your gauge be off or stuck? Did you try tapping it to see if it would move more? What about it you purge it a few times to see if you can get it to jump past there?

I did tap it a bit and noticed it did go above 10 to the 12-15 range. I purged and noticed that it would not go below 10 unless I tapped it again. I think the low pressure gauge is the issue. I emailed The Beverage Factory about getting a replacement gauge. Not really sure if my keg has the 10PSI or more? May play around with it more tomorrow night.

Well, if the gauge is off, you could be pumping a lot of CO2 into your beer. I guess you could try to gauge it by the flow out the faucet? Mine takes about 10 seconds to fill a pint glass at 12 psi. :)

The high pressure gauge is reading 60 psi? or did you mean 600 psi?

The high pressure gauge should be around 400-800 psi, not 60. 60 psi tank pressure would explain your problem. The regulator only decreases the pressure down to a percentage of the high pressure. So if the screw position is where 10 percent pressure would be, a tank at 600 psi would be adjusting to 60 psi on the low side, but a tank with only 60 psi would only be adjusting to 10 psi.

I see it says 800 (something), but I can't tell if that's psi or kpa.
I understand that even at 800 kpa, the psi would be around 100-something, so it would still be higher than 60.
Also, where the OP said it was 60, it's getting me a little confused, especially since the gauge is reading around 800. If it was a typo and the OP forgot a zero, it should have said 80 psi, and not 60 psi.
Basically I'm just wondering if that's a typo, or if the gauge picture was taken at a different date than when the concern is happening.

Either way, if the tank pressure is where it should be and the regulator is not pushing out the pressure (assuming the gauges are good, they aren't complicated at all, so there's not a whole lot that can go wrong), I would say the regulator diaphragm/spring is faulty.

You can find that regulator on the beveragefactory web site. On the tank gauge I'm betting the inner scale is PSI and the outer scale is BAR...

Cheers!

I misspoke on the 60psi, It reads around 60bar. I called beverage factory and they are sending a replacement low pressure gauge free of charge. I confirmed the regulator works. I have the tank hooked up with the adjustment screw adjusted about half way. I guess I can check to see what pressure I am charging it when I get my new gauge.

Back